Are my Mac Pro temps (187F) under load, something to worry about?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GMunroe, Jul 29, 2013.

1. GMunroe macrumors member

I am a bit concerned with the temps of my stock CPU in my Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 machine. When running handbrake overnight I am seeing temps remain around 185F to 186F in iStat. It idles around 89F in my air conditioned basement which stays around 66F.

Are these temps something to worry about, and as a side, will it be worthwhile to upgrade at this point? My reasoning is that if I need to reapply the factory thermal paste, I might as well upgrade the CPU while I am at it... I do use this Mac for some home movie editing, converting our movie collection to digital, and other than some gaming in bootcamp, I am getting by with four cores for work which is the most important.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are quite normal.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I also have a 5,1 and I see 182 and 194 for PS, AC/DC Supply 1 and 2, respectively. As far as I can remember, they have always stayed around these levels.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I think that is normal for a Mac laptop, but not a 5,1 Mac Pro.

For comparison, my 4,1 Mac Pro (with 5,1 firmware and 3.33GHz 6-core upgrade) has seen the following maximums in the last seven days while conducting renders for many hours at near-maximum of twelve threads:

CPU A Tdiode - 142ºF
    CPU A HeatSink - 120ºF
    IOH HeatSink - 149ºF
    IOH Tdiode - 169ºF
    PS, AC/DC Supply 1 - 117ºF
    PS, AC/DC Supply 2 - 131ºF​

My house is not air conditioned, and the thermometer on the wall beside my workstation has been 75-80ºF the entire week. It should be noted that I thoroughly disassemble and dust my Mac Pro twice a year, and it's just been done at the beginning of the summer.

Are your temps something to worry about? Maybe not, but they're higher than mine for sure, and in a cooler environment. I'd at least try pulling it completely apart, and dusting it carefully with canned air, including the CPUs, GPU(s), power supply, and all fans. If you haven't done this in a while, you may be surprised.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I thoroughly dusted my entire machine about 2 months ago as well. It's strange that your PS temps are so much lower.

Is yours a single or dual CPU? How many PCI-e cards do you have installed?

Thanks.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi pastrychef,

Have you ever reapplied thermal paste to the CPUs? From a general desktop perspective that's the next thing I'd probably try.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Hi, keysofanxiety.

Yes, I've reapplied thermal paste but it's not the CPU temps that I'm concerned with. My CPU temps seem about the same as wonderspark's. It's the PS temps that are drastically different.

8. bist, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

bist macrumors newbie

185F (85C) seems to be somewhat hot for a power supply.

It may be:
    - Bad or misplaced censors.
    - Bad readings from iStat (compatibility problem).

If the PS fan is running, but not at full speed, I would say it's a "iStat bug / calibration problem" (Try asking the author).

EDIT:
    - If the PS fan is at full speed, there may be a problem.
    - If you have two GPU... it may be normal (That's only 10C more than mine, full load, with only one GPU).

For infos: On a 4.1 Macpro (So, not a 5.1) :
    - Single 6x3.33
    - GTX 670
    - 2 Sata PCIe controllers
    - A bunch of USB peripherals
    - 4 HDD / 1 SSD / Apple CD/DVD combo.
    On idle the PS is around 50C.
    On load, below 75C (The max I had in the last week, it's something like 165F).

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

According to iStat, power supply fan is running at 650 rpm. lol

10. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

Which item in IStat is running at 185F? Is it the CPU A Diode?

When I run Handbrake on my Mac Pro 4,1 (3.2 quad), my diode will reach 82-84C, which is close to what you are seeing.
    My fans only seem to spin up just enough to hold the temperature at that high level (and, I assume, to keep it from rising further into the TJ Max zone).

I suspect that those who see significantly lower temps under load are using some sort of Fan Control App to manage the cooling a bit better.

----------

Does Tjmax apply to CPU core temps? Or Diode?

11. bist macrumors newbie

The minimum speed being 600... I suspect that it's either normal, or iStat is missing something (Any decent PS will cut itself if overheating).

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I just popped open my machine and I think I somehow blocked the fan and prevented it from spinning at proper speeds. The power supply fan is now spinning at 1007rpm and temps are at 128 for PS 1 and 2.

Thanks guys!!

13. GMunroe thread starter macrumors member

T

Thanks, great information. I'm glad this is normal, no need to unseat the processor and reapply the thermal compound. Or for that matter rush out for the CPU swap to the w3680 for all the real world difference (save video editing) it may make from the 3.2 in my life.

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

That's good news!

My PS fan was between 821 to 981 in the last seven days. At idle right now, the PS temps are 96ºF and 100ºF (36ºC and 38ºC).

I have a single 6-core CPU, and:
    5870 GPU
    Areca 1880ix-12 RAID card
    FASTA-6GU3 USB3/eSATA card​

15. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

6-core 3.3 (4,1 with 5,1 firmware)

PS1 currently 33c (91F) and PS2 34c (93F)

seen processor as high as 89c (192F) under full load

usually idles between 33c(91F) and 36c (97F)

exhaust power and intake are all at 599rpm

PCI at 799rpm

BOOSTA at 856rpm

far as kit goes just got couple of samsung 840s, an ATI 5770 and a USB3 card in there at mo

16. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

Mine idles at 42c. What's your Ambient temp? Mine is 32-33c. I think Ambient influences CPU temps (at least at idle).

I'm using a 4,1 with 5,1 firmware (3.2 Ghz).

17. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

aye ambient here is wee bit lower - usually 29c to 31c