iPhone 11 Pro Are my Storage Concerns on unfounded?

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Hey guys and gals I recently bought the IPhone 11 Pro Max Green and opted for the 64 GB variant because the 256 and 512 were not available in store and my previously ordered 256 GB which wasn’t coming until the 27th had already been canceled in store when they informed me of the availability issues. I had already sold my Max from last year which was a 256 gb variant but didn’t know exactly how much storage I had been using so I reluctantly made the purchase out of excitement. Lol.

To my surprise when I made it home and my phone was finished setting up from a ICloud back up. Of my 64GB only 29 had been in use and this is with 190 apps installed. I’m still on the fence as to wether in the next 3 weeks I should try and exchange it for the 256 gb model. But do you peeps think that a person that doesn’t really play games, uses Apple Music, and essentially offloads everything in the cloud could be good with a 64 GB Variant.

Side note I was previously using a Note 10 Plus 5G for a month and forgot how awesome it is to type on the iPhone. Lol.

gmikesell

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I think you’ll be fine if you don’t game on your phone and stream everything, and using drop box or iCloud storage. I think you will want something like 10gb free for virtual memory. I have only used 64gb iPhones over the last few years, currently up to 23.5gb of usage. Haven’t had any issues with performance or missing out on apps and data. Mayyyyybe will spring for more onboard storage next year if I get kicked off the AT&T next plan (no way I’m paying an additional fee for the privilege of upgrading) since I’ll be stuck with the phone for no less than 2 years.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
Hey guys and gals I recently bought the IPhone 11 Pro Max Green and opted for the 64 GB variant because the 256 and 512 were not available in store and my previously ordered 256 GB which wasn’t coming until the 27th had already been canceled in store when they informed me of the availability issues. I had already sold my Max from last year which was a 256 gb variant but didn’t know exactly how much storage I had been using so I reluctantly made the purchase out of excitement. Lol.

To my surprise when I made it home and my phone was finished setting up from a ICloud back up. Of my 64GB only 29 had been in use and this is with 190 apps installed. I’m still on the fence as to wether in the next 3 weeks I should try and exchange it for the 256 gb model. But do you peeps think that a person that doesn’t really play games, uses Apple Music, and essentially offloads everything in the cloud could be good with a 64 GB Variant.

Side note I was previously using a Note 10 Plus 5G for a month and forgot how awesome it is to type on the iPhone. Lol.
its a good experiment to try for this iPhone.

go all in with iCloud for everything.
little/no apple Music download.
little/no Photos saved at normal resolution - no optimization of photos.
little/no locally stored videos inside Photos
little/no iTV stored off-line video content.
little/no locally stored email data.
little/no Files app locally kept files.
little/no off-line downloaded maps of any kind.
short time frame to preserve Messages and their attachments.
maintain enough space to allow the iOS to do updates.

64GB seems to be the ultra low end of a successful attempt to do this.
but it for sure leaves you with no room to do anything interesting without being well connected to the net.

i would make sure i had as inexpensive of a data plan from my mobile carrier as i could get, however.
and, ofcourse, make sure you have enough iCloud paid tier storage room.

apple knew what it was doing when it decided to only market 3 sizes: 64/256/512:
because your experiment for sure has no problem working on a 128GB. as 128GB can be good for most people (like me) who even choose to keep huge amounts of Music, Videos, Mail, Files, etc on my 128GB iPhone even now.

the combination of on-phone storage jumping from 64GB to 256GB (no 128GB) /and/ iCloud free storage at only 5GB but paid iCloud storage starting at 50GB but then jumping all the way to 200Gb (without an interim paid tier such at 100GB was designed in a strategically coordinated way to make people jump up to and pay for increased storage on both their device and iCloud.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmikesell

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah Apple knew what they were doing. 128 hands down would probably be the most popular option. 256 is over kill. I have 1 Terabyte of ICloud storage and I do use drop box for some of my longer download videos. I have Verizon Unlimited internet on the go and Spectrum Gigabyte internet at home. So I might be good. Just don’t want storage anxiety. Lol.

Reactions: niji