Are new CPUs ready for the 2019 MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mortenjensen, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what is reasonable to expect of the next MBP 13" (not the 15") and when to expect it. As I understand it, it has to do with the CPU that the 2018 did not come with the new DDR4 type of RAM.

My questions:
    - is the 2018 13" right now running on the latest CPU for this type of machine or has the 9. generation already been released?
    - if not, when is it scheduled to be released?
    - would you think that a RAM-upgrade, a CPU-upgrade and a minor tweak of the integrated GPU is what to expect? Probably not a 4. gen. keyboard?

Would this not be the most decisive factor in regards to when the next upgrade will take place? Of course we could hope for June 19, but look at the "2018-iMac" that never happened.

What would you think would be the best arguments for Apple updating MBP 13" in 2019?

Morten

2. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

I do wonder what the solution is as the 2019 lineup seem to only be using the Intel HD 620 tier iGPU? This would be a downgrade to its current HD 655.

Maybe a custom solution for Apple?

3. leman macrumors G3

It is running the latest CPU. Intel now has a mix of 7, 8 and 9 gen but they are all based on the same CPU core since Intel had difficulties with transitioning to the next technology step. So marketing can be misleading.

From what I have seen, true next-gen is not scheduled to arrive before 2020.

Its really unclear. I have no doubt that Intel will be continuing releasing new refreshes based on the now venerable Skylake core, but we don't know what the changes will be. There have been no substantial upgrades to Intel iGPUs for example since 2015. And we don't know if Gen10 Intel graphics will ship next year or in 2020 (or maybe even after). I haven't also seen any leaks or info about mobile platform next year.

Also: don't discount AMD. If Zen2 delivers, they could offer a more attractive overall package compared to Intel. Specially since their integrated graphics is very good.

Availability of new hardware. Which is a big unknown at this point.

If you are in a market for a new laptop, I'd say buy one now. Next year is unlikely to bring anything exiting. The earliest point we could start seeing new interesting hardware is fall 2019, probably later.

4. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Leman, thanks for clarifying!
    Yes, I am on the market. I am running on a mid 2013 MBA i7, which has a benchmark at around 2000/4000 points single and multi core, whereas the 2018 MBP 13" i5 runs at around 5000/18000 if I remember correctly - just as the SSD speed will jump from 500 to 2000 in read/write speed.

I also recognize that the 2018 13" marks a real improvement over the 2017-model due to quad-core.

The only thing is that I get to buy a new Mac only very rarely. I one time bought a MBP just half a year before a refreshment, and that is actually quite a pain.

So I am trying to gain a reasonable impression of what to expect of the next MBP release and when it is likely to take place. It helps quite a lot to know that a new CPU is not on the market yet (as it is for the MBr). And if Intel has troubles producing it, then the next MBP 13" refreshment could be postponed to 2020 following the pace of Apple these days. They don't bother to be firstmovers as in earlier times.

Morten

5. leman macrumors G3

Its a bit more complicated. Apple's use of high-end CPU configurations is higher than anyone's else, so for them its not sufficient that a CPU is produced, it also needs to be available in very high qualities. For instance, Dell XPS using the i9 CPU was announced in April if I remember correctly, but I don't think that many (if anyone) got this configuration until late June. In contrast, Apple's i9 configs were immediately available at launch.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They just rolled out the update earlier this year, we'll not see any updates until the summer of 2019, and it could be later. If Intel is late with their chips, or if Apple doesn't release the MAcs for a while. Just look at the iMac, it hasn't been updated in 2018. Look how many years the Mini went without an update.

People are hoping for a redesign next year, but I don't know if that will happen. While not a lot of rumors, there have been chatter about Apple moving to their ARM based CPU and dropping Intel, in 2020, so that's something to keep an eye on.

7. leman macrumors G3

As to iMac, my guess is that they are waiting for Polaris 30. Then they can update the CPU and the GPU at the same time.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Frustrating for those who need a desktop nonetheless.

9. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

If you buy a machine now, it’ll get out of date as fast as if you bought one next refresh - so it’s a good time to buy if you need a machine.

The only reasons not to buy wouldn’t be to do with a CPU refresh, but perhaps if you are expecting non Touch Bar options, improved Touch Bar or a different keyboard (gen 4), as they are likely to be actual QOL changes that will potentially impact your experience over the 3-5+ year ownership you probably are hoping for this machine.

10. leman macrumors G3

True, its annoying if the industry is not able to deliver the updates consistently. But you already seen how people are freakign out if a more powerful GPU is added as a BTO option 5 months after refresh... imagine the reaction if they update the iMac and then two months later Polaris 30 is out...

11. apiro macrumors regular

@mortenjensen, IMHO next year update won't be substantial. They won't (can't?) go beyond 4 cores and they don't have incentive or room to up the clock much. iGPU might get bigger update but again not as big as 10nm Cannonlake will be able to provide. So my advice would be either buy now or be ready to wait until summer-autumn 2020 (when 10nm Cannonlake will likely arrive).

12. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

The jump from dual core to quad core is significant. If you need to buy now or buy soon, I'd buy now. Refurbished 13"s are out too IIRC.

13. leman macrumors G3

AMD just previewed the Zen2 CPU and it looks very good (on paper at least). I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 would be the year when AMD CPUs come to Apple computers.

14. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

15. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

I found the 2016 and 2017 MBPs to be a work in progress....the pot was simply simmering but the contents were not ready to be served.
    In 2018 the line has finally acquired some respectability.

If I was a specs nerd I would be waiting forever for the perfect MBP....but
    my amateurish sleuthing has revealed that these are now very competent machines.

So much so that Ive ordered a 2018 13" i7/512/16....I just hope I wont be back here complaining about the keyboard later.

16. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

The 2018 13" i7 is a monster!!!

I can see you being cautious about making sure that something better is not on the horizon.

If you do pick up a 2018 13" i7, it will do you good for a few years.

Basically, pair it with an eGPU and call it a day.

Intel wont be dropping anything to best this current chip the next few cycles.

The only thing that could happen is slightly better Intel iGPU or a dGPU intergation in the MBP.

Don't hold your breath on the latter.....