Are new TVs reliable for commercial use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Nov 24, 2015.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

We have several TVs being used in commercial applications and just had 2 similar 50" LCD TVs fail after just 18 months of use. I won't mention the brand except that it has 2 letters in it.

Are consumer level TVs getting cheaper and cheaper at the expense of reliability or did we just get unlucky?

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Unlucky. Sony and Samsung units have never failed me. Then again, with TV sets, you get what you pay for.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've had a Sony LCD TV for almost 7 years with no problems, then again not constantly used. My parents bought a Pioneer Plasma TV when they first came out ($5000+) circa 2004. The thing died after 2 years... And man the fans were horribly loud. They bought a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and still have it almost 10 years later.

A higher quality brand (Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc) doesn't cost that much more than the lower end brands. It might be worth if it will be used continuously.

This is merely anecdotal, but my friend has a Vizio LCD TV that's less than 3 years old and already has a line of burnt out pixels. I've notice places that have TVs on constantly typically use Samsung, including my hospital on the patient info displays, fast food menu boards, transportation schedules in train stations, etc.

I'd hunt around the web to see if you can find reliability ratings. 2 monitors of the same brand within the same period of time doesn't sound too good.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

We have a Sharp Aquos Quattron we bought 4 years ago that is still perfect. You do get what you pay for. If you want a good TV, get a Sharp, Samsung or Sony.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are you looking for something that will be going for say 10-14 hours a day seven days a week? We deployed around 52 of them and went with the commercial line from Viewsonic. In eight years of service, running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We have lost only one.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Our AV guys who install kit in schools avoid anything from LG or Samsung. The power supplies are dreadful.

Panasonic are their first choice.

This is UK, so we're on 240V. YMMV in other countries.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sony seems to be the best for Commercial use.

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Funny enough, Panasonic units are avoided here in the states. LG is hit or miss, but at my firm our televisions are Samsungs, with just a single Sony in one conference room out of our two locations.

Admittedly, we did use LG televisions, small ones at that when we first started out and had problems about 9 months in running them from morning til afternoon. If a TV goes bad, often times it's easy to fix provided you know what you're doing, like a blown cap. Otherwise, it's simpler to claim it on warranty if possible or buy a new one. Some places like Costco will accept faulty units within a certain time frame. Like Amazon, they do keep track of customer concessions so if you intentionally abuse it to work the system they have, they'll terminate your account. Otherwise you're safe.

I've only had 2 Panasonic televisions, but those were back in the day of the tubes. I bought the the last one in June 2000 and it survived for 4 years before going kaput. Before that, I owned an old Sony and before that I had another Panasonic I bought from Circuit City in the early 90s with a neat built in VCR. At the time I thought that was the bees knees! Before that, I had an RCA. I bought a Sony flatscreen in 2004 after my Panasonic died. One of those fancy Vega/Wega? ones that weighed a ton. I have fond memories of throwing my back out trying to move the damned thing. About 3 years late in winter of 2006, I went on a massive shopping spree and bought a couple LCD Sony TVs. I've been a loyal Sony and Samsung customer since. I finally got rid of the Vega/Wega a few years back and still got a decent amount of money. I had the stand and the extra speaker stands which I'd bought but never used.

9. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Do they use better components? Sony's are just a little more expensive, but worth it if they last.

10. AutoUnion39, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You want to avoid lower-end brands, such as Vizio, etc.

For constant usage, you want a higher quality panel with better components. Something like Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc. My parents gave me their old Sony Bravia and it still works. Almost 8-9 years old.

I consider LG trash. LG phones (poor build quality and RF performance), appliances (constant repairs), monitors (backlight problems)... you name it, I've had issues with them. My parent's entire kitchen was LG and every single one had constant issues. They've since been replaced with Samsung. Zero repairs

Everywhere I go, I seem to see Samsung, Sharp, or Sony, so they must be doing something right? :)

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sony makes a professional line that is meant to be run 24/7.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I have good luck with Viewsonic, Samsung and Sharp.

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Samsung and Sharp make the screens for LG, but they sell lower binned products to other companies. Higher binned monitor sized products go to Apple, Dell and HP for their professional line of monitors. When I think of LG TVs, I'm reminded of that ridiculous color mood light changing LCD they released several years ago.

14. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Now I see there is a pro line of TV monitors, but double and triple the price of consumer grade. That won't work for us. I'm hoping the Sony consumer line is good enough.

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

one exception to LG is they absolutely own the high end washer/dryer segment

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

You aren't running them 24/7 or close to it though, are you?

17. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Not necessarily. It's either Samsung or LG. Maybe the occasional Maytag. The rest of the brands are rather poor in quality. Any system that's quality and had built in changeable silver plates is a winner in my book.

18. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

They are on 18 hrs per day everyday. We have older consumer tvs that have been ok for 5 years, but the newer ones have a high failure rate.

19. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

There has to be a problem with the model we have because I just had a 3rd one fail this week! They were all purchased last summer and are the same model LG #50LN5400. The manufacturer says they have no reports of a widespread bad component issue and offered no warranty assistance. We're going Sony now and hope we have better luck.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

21. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm sure they're good, but $900 for a 46" display is too much.

22. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

But I thought it was hard to find a Samsung or LG washer/dryer repair person ? Is that true? Thank you

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Depends on your area. If they're under warranty, the company deals with it. Sometimes the store you bought it will send out their own servicemen who know the machines front to back or if it's bad enough, they'll do an exchange for a newer model provided you bought some type of extended warranty with it. I bought my stuff from Lowes with a warranty extension for most of my heavy appliances and they don't have trouble replacing a, in my case, a 400 something dollar microwave oven that went kaput. Also, living in SoCal helps. There are a lot of authorized independent repair companies around here. You could also order the parts and do the repair yourself. I've done plenty of repair on Kitchen Aid equipment I personally bought in the late 90s prior to getting married that still function like new today. I'm very thankful that both Seas and Lowes are capable of ordering special parts from the manufacturer.

24. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

My company regularly uses Toshiba, Samsung and LG TV's for events, sometimes hundreds of TV's per event. We have very few actual TV problems, though they don't like water.

That said, I absolutely HATE the the LG TV's with the single button on the bottom. Has anyone ever complained that 6 buttons was too many? So dumb...

25. LifeIsLikeABoxOfRocks, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

LifeIsLikeABoxOfRocks macrumors member

LifeIsLikeABoxOfRocks

LG's use really cheap parts. The good news is, most everything is on one board. I've fix two LG's just by replacing faulty caps.

I only use Plasma for my big screens, as I like true colors and a CRT look. I have a Panasonic 40", 16 years old and looks as good as new. Also have a Panasonic 50" thats 9 years old and looks as good as new. Both are 720P and look beautiful.