Are newer airport express safe to use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fokket, Apr 27, 2009.

1. fokket macrumors regular

I have the early ones (bought in 2005) and it suffered sudden death like hundreds of others.

I'm wondering if the current generation has that problem too.

What boils my blood is that I thought I was the rarer case until I Googled
    the issue and seems like Apple is purposely ignoring this.

(Don't even get me started on iPod. all my iPods died just after the warranty period)

Grrrr

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your post isn't completely understandable, but the AirPort Express is perfectly safe to use and works very well.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ah yes, pesky Apple with their built-in-self-destruct-by-date products.
    All your iPods?

:rolleyes:

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

That's weird. Five iPods, four laptops, one desktop, one express and one extreme and they're all still working, far beyond their warranties.

5. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

6. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I've heard of this problem before. My Airport Express never seen much use and lately developed periodic noisy transmissions for the audio stream. I wonder if this is it...

7. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

Lol I Called Tech Support And Denying The A/e S/n Exist

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is this problem seems to occur between certain ranges of Serial Number and mine falls between that time period. This level of malfunction calls for exchange and repair program like they did with iMac G5 etc. etc.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My first B/G unit was crap. Always dropping out and I couldn't ever find it on my airport utility. It didn't "just work."

Bought a new one at circuit city when they went out of business for 40% off. Works great.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I think its outside interference...there's a network with an AE and some days it has to be reset every ten minutes...sometimes it goes for weeks at a time...

12. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

more info

*from hardmac.com

- as we originally suspected, it predominantly affects users living in 220/230V-based countries (98% of the reports).
    - all defective APX have been manufactured by Foxconn during S2 2004
    - as a result, all defective APX have a serial number starting with HS42, HS43 or HS44.
    - most of the defective APX have a product number either A1084 or A1088.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, I guess to answer the question you started the thread about, newer Airport Expresses are safe to use.

14. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

15. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

This Is Really Strange, Whel I Called The Applecare Guys, They Said The S/n Doesn't Come Up

But Since I Was Transferred To Customer Relations, How Was He Able To Get Manufactured Date?????

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

The manufacture date/location code is in the serial number itself.

If you read them your serial number, even if that serial number is not in their system, they can still tell you where and when it was manufactured.

17. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Just curious... Are you a Windows user or Mac user?

The reason why I ask is because I have owned quite a few iPods over the years that never gave me any problems and they all still work.

However, most of my friends are Windows users and their iPods always fail them. Perhaps, it is the way that Windows formats the iPod (FAT32) that causes problems for them.

Funny thing is, I can usually recover/fix their iPods with my Mac (or by slapping the back of the iPod real hard, as it seems that sometimes the hard drive spindle gets stuck).

I am curious if iPods used for Windows have a higher failure rate, or if I have been a lucky iPod owner that happens to own a Mac. It just seems crazy that all of my friends using Windows have problems with their iPods and I own several models that have been trouble free for over 6 years.

18. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

Good point.

1st gen Nano I had was used from both PC and Mac, went faulty due to screen then just 'died'

5th gen iPod was used from PC mainly and Mac, same problem

iPod Touch, mainly PC then Mac, same problem

3rd gen Nano, only connected to MAc. No problem, but does have tiny spot on the screen

another iPod Touch, fine, but had it for less than an year.

Saying that my cousin's 2nd gen iPod is still running strong. Of course
    it's got battery problem (not Apple's fault), but when connected to power source, works just fine.

19. aleni macrumors 68020

been using the "N" express for about 6 months, it's still fine.. wireless printing with Epson R230 and iTunes Air are really great.