Are Non-Apple Branded Chargers Slower @ Charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I own two iPad chargers; the one that came in the box and another purchased at Best Buy by Belkin.

The reason I use the Belkin charger is cause the length of the cord is like four feet, allowing me to chill more often with the iPad charging.

Anyways, just wondering if such a theory can be validated or if I'm indeed insane. :confused:

2. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Well the length of the cord will contribute to a loss of current but I'm unsure if that will manifest itself as an observable time difference. Really if it's the same voltage it should be fine.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are quite insane. The men in the white coats will be at your door any minute now. For your own safety and that of your family, friends, and colleagues, go with them. They only want to help you.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm not leaving without my charged iPad! :eek:

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The best chargers run 2.1 Amps with a thick enough cable to support that kind of charging. The best ones I have found to date are the Xtreme Mac Duo and the Griffin Powerblock chargers which are faster than even the Apple provided charger. As long as you have 2.1 Amps and a decently thick cable, you're good to go.

6. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I have a 6 feet cable from eBay, and it takes about a week to fully charge the iPad...

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Amps seem to be most important. I have a powered USB hub that wouldn't even charge my iPad with it plugged up there. Maybe it did with the cover closed, but I don't recall. But it would recharge my iPhone.

So basically I've been using one cable directly connected to my iMac to get the juice. I bought my dad one of those Griffin or Kensington car power chargers that has an iPhone and iPad power port, the iPad one with 2.1 amps. He has both now, so I figured that would be best for all occasions.

On a side note, will the iPad 2.1 amp port hurt an iPhone 4 or 3GS? I doubt it will, but I wanted to find out before trying it.

8. nickbarbs macrumors regular

I charge mine with Solar Power. Takes about a week.. sometimes a month living in London!

You can use any charger to charge the ipad but if its not got strong amperage (chances are, if its a standard USB charger not made for the ipad, it doesnt have strong amperage) it will take you like 10 hours to charge it.

9. bniu macrumors 6502a

No

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

iPad chargers out of the box supply 10 watts, and I'm not sure what iPhone chargers supply but its considerably less. It's all about how much the transformer is allowing to flow to the device. Is your 3rd party device a general iOS device charger? It might be optimized for an iPhone which draws significantly less power.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Most of them are slower. You have to check to see if they are 10W, All of the ones in Brookstone, for example, are 5W so they will charge at half-speed like your computer's USB port.