Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
With the 13'' MBP just updated with Retina display it's just about time until the MBAs get it too. I'm just curious to know what do you guys think: are the non-Retina MacBooks (both Air and Pro) at risk of getting 'obsolete'? I'm not talking about 'feeling obsolete' but about the fact that newer app will be Retina-only? After the update of a few weeks ago whenever you open the Mac App Store the first thing you see now is the Retina-ready apps, when before those where not the first listed. Is there the possibility of future apps not being backwards compatible with non-Retina MacBooks (again, both Air and Pro)?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I think Apple will discontinue the Non-Retina MacBooks after next year and the only options will be to buy a Retina Macbook, whether its an Air or Pro.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
At some point in the future the non-retina models will be dropped and the retina models will be cheaper (same price as non-retina models are now). No idea whether it will happen next year though - it all depends on how quickly the display industry develops.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
At some point in the future the non-retina models will be dropped and the retina models will be cheaper (same price as non-retina models are now). No idea whether it will happen next year though - it all depends on how quickly the display industry develops.

No more user upgradable macs for a while.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Well I was not talking about the replacing of the hardware that it's obviously going to happen sooner rather than later. I was talking about the possibility of the current non-Retina MacBooks to download and use apps which, I imagine, would be Retina-ready. Will they still be non-Retina backward compatible?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well I was not talking about the replacing of the hardware that it's obviously going to happen sooner rather than later. I was talking about the possibility of the current non-Retina MacBooks to download and use apps which, I imagine, would be Retina-ready. Will they still be non-Retina backward compatible?

Uhm, a HiDPI compatible application can be always run in a low-DPI mode. Thats something you definitively don't have to worry about.

Edit: unless Apple for some reason decides that you are not allowed to do it, as they like to do with the iOS. Which I can't really imagine.

----------

No more user upgradable macs for a while.

Modern laptops are quickly approaching the levels of performance where upgradeability is absolutely unnecessary. The only upgradeable thing I can imagine to be semi-useful is the storage space. As far as expansion options go, the current macs are the most flexible devices ever, with their dual TB + USB3.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
retina's will not see an air for a long time. They need too much power and a bigger casing than the Airs will offer. You have to remember the 11" air starts at $999 and is probably one of their biggest sellers. They are not going to add retina to their entire product line any time soon. Also, it really seems like the retina's need a dedicated GPU to not lag.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Uhm, a HiDPI compatible application can be always run in a low-DPI mode. Thats something you definitively don't have to worry about.

Edit: unless Apple for some reason decides that you are not allowed to do it, as they like to do with the iOS. Which I can't really imagine.

That's what I'm more afraid of. I'd hate to enter to the App Store in two years and try to download an app only to receive a "Sorry, your system isn't compatible with this app" kind of message...

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I think so. I just bought a cMBP 13" and I think at any point the non-retina will be discontinued. Or they will sell 1 version of the non-retina at a cheaper price. Like they did the white macbook.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I think so. I just bought a cMBP 13" and I think at any point the non-retina will be discontinued. Or they will sell 1 version of the non-retina at a cheaper price. Like they did the white macbook.

And this will likely last 1-2 years at most and end in a phase out, just like the MacBook :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
That's what I'm more afraid of. I'd hate to enter to the App Store in two years and try to download an app only to receive a "Sorry, your system isn't compatible with this app" kind of message...

In ten years? Probably. In two years? Impossible.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
retina's will not see an air for a long time. They need too much power and a bigger casing than the Airs will offer. You have to remember the 11" air starts at $999 and is probably one of their biggest sellers. They are not going to add retina to their entire product line any time soon. Also, it really seems like the retina's need a dedicated GPU to not lag.

I think the upcoming IZGO screens are meant to fix the power problem, and should go a long way towards enabling this in a MacBook Air. Especially since Samsung is doing the same thing already: link (and wow that thing is matte, I so wish Apple would offer that)

But I agree regarding pricing, I think in 2013/haswell they will reduce the retina price (and drop cMBP from the lineup) and not update the Airs to retina until 2014, by which time everyone in the indusctry will be offering HiDPI anyway.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I think the upcoming IZGO screens are meant to fix the power problem, and should go a long way towards enabling this in a MacBook Air. Especially since Samsung is doing the same thing already: link (and wow that thing is matte, I so wish Apple would offer that)

But I agree regarding pricing, I think in 2013/haswell they will reduce the retina price (and drop cMBP from the lineup) and not update the Airs to retina until 2014, by which time everyone in the indusctry will be offering HiDPI anyway.

I so agree with you on Apple having the ability to add retina to MBA, while many doubt us. However, I do think they will add retina to 2013 MBA. Seems many do not mention that retina does not have to be added to the cMBA. MBA line could be like the rMBP line with 2 models - one at 1200 and the other at 1800 with retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.