Are O2 iPhone 4s unlocked now or something?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubuntu, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

I had been trying to get my iPhone 4 unlocked for a long time simply to use my Lebara sim card when I go abroad as it works out cheaper. I was in Belgium with my girlfriend and we decided to go check a phone shop and got a Mobistar microsim card that worked. When I got back to the UK I had forgotten to remove it and noticed it said Orange now. Tried calling it from another phone and it had an orange voicemail etc, so then I tried the lebara sim card (cut to size) which now works as well as Vodafone etc.

...is this just a screw up on O2's/Apple's part or did they all get unlocked without notification?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It shouldn't be unlocked.

O2 is unlocking iPhone 4 now though.

£15 on PAYG.

Free on contract.

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Note that all subsidised O2 handsets are sold unlocked. You can contact customer services to have your device unlocked if it isn't, which usually is the case with iPhone. This trend is beginning to be adopted by the other networks, including Vodafone. I believe the only exceptions are carrier manufactured handsets (eg. O2 Xda) and BlackBerry phones, the latter of which are locked at a ROM level.

4. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Seriously? Slow bastards. Better late than never but I do recall them saying they would unlock once the launch period was over. The launch period is 6 months/half the product's typical lifecycle?:rolleyes:

Not that I need it now anyway.

Thanks for the replies.