Are octo core Macbook Pros a possibility with Skylake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustgroove, May 22, 2015.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Or will octo core chips for Macbook Pros come a lot further down the track?

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Given that the quad core Broadwell parts haven't even been released yet, talking about octo-core setups is jumping the gun by a large degree.

3. leman macrumors G3

I am not aware about any plans to release laptop-suitable octo-core CPUs from Intel.

In addition, 8-core does not make much sense for laptops, at least not from current technology standpoint. Multi-core CPUs are a hack to work around scalability issues of single core designs. If we were able to scale up the performance of single cores arbitrary, nobody would even care about multi-core designs right now.

However, in a laptop, you are limited by the thermals. So basically, its a balance between two limits: how much heat can I dissipate vs. how many cores can I use. To fit into the thermal envelop of a MacBook Pro, an octa-core CPU would need to be severely under clocked. So any performance benefit over a quad-core might become dubious. A 2Ghz quad-core is a more flexible design than a 1Ghz octal-core.

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Zero chance. Intel isn't even putting 6 or 8 cores on their mainstream 1151 Skylake socket and the mainstream uses the same core dies as mobile, just binned for lower voltages.

5. magbarn macrumors 68000

Yup, it'll be akin to the cheap Chinese Android phones that have 8 core cpus, yet slow as heck...