Are OCZ Vertex drives really that prone to random failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newbiemacguy128, Jun 30, 2010.

1. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I keep hearing about this, and as i just installed a vertex 2 drive in my computer its kinda scaring me...

Anyways, how many of you guys have actually had a vertex 2 fail?
    If it hasn't failed how long has it lasted you so far?

Maybe i'm just being overly paranoid...

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

3. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha i hope so...do you have one installed?

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Most definitely over paranoid. OCZ is regarded as one of the best SSD makers out there; and in the case of a dead drive, they have amazing support.

5. VNM macrumors member

The LE drives seemed to have some issues, while I've heard much better things about the Vertex 2 drives.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I had a real bad run with an OCZ Vertex drive last year. Had it for 5 months and it was constantly plagued with sleep problems (hard locks upon waking Mac) and then one day it just randomly died. Sent it back to OCZ and they determined it was a hardware failure and were going to replace it.

Two weeks later they still had no unit to send me and I asked for a refund. I was told the drive would be in within 3 days. It wasn't. A week later I still had no drive, and no refund. Finally they agreed to give me a refund. The check arrived 2 and a half weeks later. I was without a drive (or the money to buy a new drive) for over a month. To me, this was more unacceptable than the drive just unexpectedly dying.

I will never, ever buy anything from OCZ again.

With my refund money I bought an Intel x25-m and have not had a single hiccup since owning it (over a year now.) It's not the fastest when it comes to sequential writes but its random performance is phenomenal and its stability has been rock solid.

7. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, well so far one customer with bad news! Sad to hear about the customer support issue though, i usually hear good things from them. Anyways, i heard the vertex 1 had some problems...What about the vertex 2 though?

Still waiting on someone with real world experience with this drive though. Has the vertex 2 just not been out long enough yet? Or is everyone running to intel? haha.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You're going to find people who will tell you about their bad experiences with any SSD or technology product, especially on a support forum. It's just a result of mass production; some are lemons. My issue wasn't as much about the drive failing (I had a backup and didn't lose any data) as much as it was about the way OCZ's support operated. If they could have replaced the unit faster or been straight up with me and said they wouldn't have any units in for X amount of time (instead of stringing me along) and given me a refund promptly I probably would have bought from them again.

Also, their official support forums for Mac consisted of one moderator constantly telling users to "talk to apple" about the sleep issues.

9. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Understandable. Anyways, just wanted some peace of mind i guess. Paying my way through school and funding a expensive habit gets a bit hard sometimes. Thanks for the help guys!