Are older Generation MBP's cheaper now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chairman Mao, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Chairman Mao macrumors newbie

I'm off to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks and want to replace my previous macbook pro (mid 2010 - 15" - 2.4GHz i5 - 320GB - 4GB RAM) that got stolen a couple of weeks ago.

I was really happy with the performance I got from my old computer so I'm looking for something similar. The retina display is out of my price range.

I've read that the late 2011 models can be found for $330 - $400 cheaper than the list price. Does anybody know if this is true? How much would the 15" base model cost?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

3. Chairman Mao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'm considering a Refurbished Mac too, but I was really wanting to know about new macbookpros. With the newer models coming out I thought I might be able to pick up and older model cheaper than their list price.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Refurbished units are great, but you can also get new 2011 models from some resellers like MacMall:

http://www.macmall.com/n/macCustomPages-3964

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Only while shops have physical stock, so you have to act fast unfortunately you are now likely too late as many watch for the limited discount in the previous model Mac`s your best bet is likely a base model (non Retina) if not take the refurbished path.

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If you're interested in purchasing the laptop while in Hong Kong, you might be interested to know that the local equivalent of Best Buy/Future Shop here are selling the older models with a discount. Combined with the fact that electronics are tax-free here, that means prices could be similar to the refurb prices but you'll be getting a brand new item.

The hassle of bringing the entire box etc back to the US could be a hassle though.

7. Chairman Mao thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm based in China so it shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Can you give me some more details of the shops please?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Broadway and Fortress- they're basically the equivalent of Best Buy.

Some independent Apple Authorized Retailers usually have discounted previous generation stock at a discount too.

9. Chairman Mao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Just bear in mind that the 2011 MBP 15" runs quite hot when the dGPU and CPU are combined, so if you go that route I'd advise installing GFXCardStatus and setting it to only use the integrated HD3000 graphics. Temps rarely exceeded 40c on my high res AG MBP from last year when using integrated. When anything triggered the dGPU they were always around 65c at idle and the battery life was destroyed.

11. SL2TO macrumors newbie

It costs $900 to repair in Future shop. Unlike Windows, MacBook Pros are very expensive to even repair or to do small hardware changes.