Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I'm finally updating my OSX (10.5.8) as newer software versions are starting to require 10.6 or higher. To get around the cost I borrowed an install disc for Snow Leopard from a friend of mine. My question is if the install disc is for an iMac will that also work for a Macbook Pro (intel core duo processor)? I'm guessing it probably won't but wanted to confirm. thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sadly it will not work, as the grey Restore DVDs are model specific and work only with the model they came with.

You might need to peruse other options.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Sadly it will not work, as the grey Restore DVDs are model specific and work only with the model they came with.

You might need to peruse other options.

yeah that's what I thought. Looks like I'm just gonna have to buy the DVDs then :mad:

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Seeing that it once cost 29 USD for a very high quality DVD, no wonder many just pirate Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Pirating the SL retail DVDs is a little more difficult as the DVD is dual layered, but still easily done.

Remember, Apple doe not really make any money off their OS, it is to get you to buy their expensive computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.