Are our iPhone 4's quickly becoming out dated already!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have an iPhone 4, 16GB.

Love it. Awesome device.

But this morning I read an article on yahoo front page saying that the iPhone 4 is basically becoming a dinosaur if not already because:

There are Dual Core phones, 4G phones, phones with 2 screens, flash capable phones.

Made me feel pretty bad.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you love it and it is an awesome device... what do you care what an article on the 'net says?

Just enjoy it

Yes, there are new phones coming out
    There always will be new technology

There will likely be a new iPhone out this summer too

3. cootersgarage6, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Nope.

Realize this, it's dated. Everything you see is dated. That's because they are already thinking about making the third generation once you have opened it. And no, the iPhone 4 is not dated. It seems dated because all of those other phones that can do all those cool things. The thing is, the Apple mobile and OSX operating systems make the phone run smoothly and so great for SO long.

And also, don't think Apple is behind the game. The reason the iPhone doesn't have all those features is because those phones are so new, and phones like that with android OS are made EVERYDAY. There is a new smartphone from Android daily. I know. The iPhone is only done once a year, so it's not going to have these NEW features that JUST came out.

All the other companies wait for the iPhone to come out so they can start copying it.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You have to ask yourself two questions

1) What do you want from a phone which is also an iPod and an Internet communicator?
    2) Which of these functions are fulfilled by the iPhone?

Ok, if all the requirements in answer 1 are covered by answer 2, what does it matter if your iPhone is a dinosaur?

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

in regards to iPhone Apple is no longer a leader.

The competition comes out with better specs/hardware and then Apple follows. Last year they came up with a high resolution display and 1ghz processor in June when the competition had devices of that caliber early 2010.

The same is happening today, devices with larger displays, dual core processors and better functionality are to be released any day and Apple will follow in June.

7. nednarm macrumors 6502

No I dont think the ip4 is outdated yet. dual core phones aren't all that yet anyway, the only one that is out is the LG optimus 2x. If you read the engadget review it seems slower in certain circumstances than current single core phones.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yes it is very dated.
    Get the iPhone 5, it will be a Dual Core and you won't feel out dated.

1 year later... you'll feel dated again because there will be Quad Cores instead of Dual Cores.

Honestly, as long as you don't feel outdated then no worries. But once your phone begins to lag and you can feel that your buddies' phones are much better. Then it might be time to upgrade, it's up to you.

9. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Thats funny to me. I LOVE my iPhone 4 and can't imagine what else I would need. I am not upgrading until iPhone 6 because I am not missing anything. I love the size of the phone and the video is AMAZING. Could not be happier.:eek:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So you were OK with your phone until you read an article on that beacon of journalism, Yahoo?

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd feel worse for getting an emotional reaction from a Yahoo article. Seriously, tech is outdated before it hits the shelves, if you're that worried about it you need something more important in your life.

12. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How do you know what you aren't missing if you don't know what there is to miss?

I felt that way about my iPhone 3G. What am I missing?

Then I realized that I missing a retina display, face time, faster processor, more memory, multi tasking, etc.

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I never missed facetime. I never missed a faster processor or more memory either. I did miss non-battery-draining multitasking, and that was even before it was released.

If you don't miss anything yet, be happy for what you have got. Why care about what others have?

14. nednarm macrumors 6502

What's the problem? Have you ever been using your ip4 and thought "darn, I wish this phone had dual cores to hand this task better." No? Didn't think so.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Kyocera Echo on Sprint.

OP, since the iPhone 4 was introduced in June 2010 it is fair to say that yes it becoming outdated. That said, it doesn't mean it will suddenly stop working or not do any of the things that I needed it to do when I bought it. I plan on keeping my iPhone 4 for a couple of years.

17. darkside flow macrumors 6502

This is a bunch of nonsense. Galaxy and Nexus phones that came out months after iPhone 4 had identical specs.

iPhone 4 set the stage for the year last June. There was nothing commercially available that was better. Obviously the phone is a bit dated 7 months later with new products set to come out, but that's life.

Let's just see if the fifth iPhone one ups the competition again.

18. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

So you're telling me if June's iPhone comes with a dual core processor they are the one who "uped" the competition? They are the ones who did it first? We will see dual core processor devices way before June. Stop it with the fanboyisim. :rolleyes:

19. darkside flow macrumors 6502

How quickly you forget what you typed.

You said that last June apple came out with phones with specs that were already standard on phones from earlier that year. The opposite is in fact true; other manufacturers continued to release devices with specs equal or inferior to iPhone for months after its release. But call me a fanboy because your argument is false, why don't you.

20. moel macrumors 6502

But ultimately it's not about the specs...although in the case of the iphone 4 it WAS the class leader at the time.

Fact is, you can give an Android phone dual core processor running at higher speeds, and yet it STILL can't beat the iPhone 4 in time to complete identical tasks.

This isn't fanboyism, this is fact. Your both right...although i'd tend to come down on the fanboy side.

end of argument.

OP - Ignore the yahoo article you still have the best phone with the best experience on the market.

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

Time doesn't just stay still especially in the cell phone industry that moves at such a fast pace. Of course, it is dated like everything in tech. And if it isn't yet to you, it will be.

Being out in the market for nearly 8 months in the market is a long time. But if you enjoy it now, why should it bother you? I have video game consoles that I've owned for over 10-15 years and still enjoy playing them.

I was checking out a review for the LG Optimus 2X w/ the TEGRA 2 chip and realized the iPhone 4 still has the best battery life for 3G and WiFi browsing. That makes me very content because I tend to use my iPhone more for internet than making calls.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...ra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I do tend to get 10+ hours with the screen brightness fairly dim, have it on airplane mode, and only have the WiFi switch on with not many apps running in the background. I never include music playing since it pads the stats. Just WiFi browsing with some streaming and occassional 2D games. I am still on firmware 4.0. iPhone 4 has stellar battery among the best smartphones out right now. With 10% left, I still can use it for about an hour (1% - 5 to 6 min).

22. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

It's cool to have all that stuff, but if it's not utilized properly it just comes turns out to be a mess. iPhones are stable and have the latest tech when its available. If I took the approach of upgrading when something new comes out it would be an eternal chase for nothing. Look at TV's and how they marginally get better until the next year it seems like a new experience. You have to pick a point of when you plan to buy and stick with it.

Wait to see if there is support for the software and the device you plan to get. It doesn't make sense to buy it just for power and the phone sucks to use on a daily basis because it's a battery hog, or nothing that uses dual screens, or high end screens that have poor support on the OS.

23. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

One thing I've learned about Apple is, just when the competition thinks it has a great product, Apple shuts them down. Apple is an innovative company and most other companies are doing their best to legally copy them.

24. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

There is something to be said for how quickly other newer phones get outdated compared to Apple's yearly releases.

I can go to thousands of stores and get a charging cord that works on an iPhone, even an iPhone 2g. Try doing that with any other phone released when the iphone 2g was. A lot harder.

Sure, they arne't cutting edge, but they also don't disappear off the radar as fast either.

25. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

"If you don't miss anything yet, why miss something someone else may have in the future?"

That's true actually lol. Good point.