Are paid unlock sites legit? 3GS new bootrom

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacGyver84, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MacGyver84 macrumors newbie

Has anyone used a site like www.unlock-the-iphone.com or www.androidoniphone.com? Are they legit sites? I Jalebroke and unlocked my iPhone 2G using a free method but there isn’t a way to jailbreak the new bootrom 3GS as far as I can tell. However, these sites claim to do just that for a one-time fee. I want to jailbreak a “new” 3GS with the new bootrom. Any suggestions please? Thanks!

2. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Im pretty sure the spirit jailbreak will do work. Download it and connect your phone. It will tell you right away if it can jailbreak your phone.

Unlocking is a bit different,

3. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

if there was a legit way, i would think it would be posted how to do it on the internet somewhere.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Paid unlock sites are never legitimate. If they ever deliver a product, it will be stolen software that you could have gotten for free. If they tell you that they can unlock a device that the Dev-Team says cannot be unlocked, they are lying and will take you money and just string you along until a free solution is released.

All legitimate unlocks are free.

5. mso4 macrumors regular

Did mine 2 days ago, works like a charm. I have a 3GS 3.1.3 w/ new bootrom.

Be sure to use iTunes 9.1.1 and not 9.2. You can find old versions of 9.1.1 on the internet. Since my macbook already have 9.2, I downloaded and installed 9.1.1 into my windows xp (under vmware). Other option is to downgrade 9.2 back to 9.1.1.

Once that was done, used spirit for jb and ultrasn0w for unlocked, took me less than 5 minutes.

GL.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

reported the this post never believe newbies that post stuff like this. The sites you mentioned are a huge ripoff. if Apple ever goes after anybody it should be them.

7. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

mso4, what did you use to Jailbreak? Is it a teathered JB? On of those paid sites? Thanks for the reply!!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those paid sites are a scam.
    Dont fall for it.
    If the Dev team or Geohot doesnt have a new JB and unlock out for your phone 1000% they dont either.

9. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice labman! I may be a newbie posting here but I have been JBing since my original iPhone. I didn't think that post sounded right unless he wasn't answering the question I'm asking. Sounds like he has a teathered JB which is not what I want. I just need my replacement 3GS jailbroken! I guess I'll have to wait for the Devs to fix it! I was afraid of that!

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If your phone has 3.1.3 or lower on it, you can jailbreak and unlock yourself for free. If you have upgraded to 4.0, you are out of luck for now.

11. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Applejuiced! So all I can do is wait? :( 3GS, 3.1.3, new bootrom

Even with the new bootrom?? How? Thanks!

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, regardless of bootrom. With Spirit and ultrasn0w. Tutorials here.

The only thing you won't be able to do is upgrade to 4.0, for now.

13. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a teathered JB though, correct? From what I understand that is the only way to JB a new bootrom 3GS. I don't really want to mess with that.

14. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

15. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! Will Spirit keep me from updating to 4.0 later though? Since the current 4.0 JB won't work on Spirit JB phones?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only you can keep yourself from updating to 4.0 officially thru itunes. :)
    When there's a new JB that would allow you to JB 4.0 or update to custom 4.0 you will be able to.
    Now you cant. You can update to official 4.0 only.

17. MacGyver84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'm going to play around tonight! :D

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Spirit doesn't prevent PwnageTool from working, it just doesn't enable it. PwnageTool relies on a trick to allow currently-jailbroken phones to be upgraded to modified ipsw's of firmware versions that otherwise could not be jailbroken. Most current jailbreak methods modify the bootloader to patch out Apple's signature check so that the phone will boot despite the firmware having been modified. It is removing this signature check (also called "pwning" the bootloader) that allows PwnageTool to work.

Apple closed the exploit previously used to pwn the 3GS starting with 3.1.3, so it is no longer possible to pwn phones that can't be downgraded to 3.1.2 or lower. Spirit used a different kind of exploit, called a 'userland' jailbreak, to allow people's phones to be jailbroken without being pwned. This allowed 4GS phones on 3.1.3 to be jailbroken, but does not allow them to be upgraded to unsigned firmwares.

Any new jailbreak for 4.0 will have to rely on a different exploit and be able to pwn the bootloader on its own. The fact that you used Spirit at 3.1.3 will be completely irrelevant to how it works.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well I didn't just say it for you but anybody that reads it hopefully doesn't give these guys a dime. My advice wait for the Dev-team to a jailbreak and then donate to a good charity of your choice. much better then throwing money at these idiots!

thelatinist- thanks best explanation I have seen on 4.0 and Spirit

20. mso4 macrumors regular

Just to clarify, I did not used any paid sites. On Windows XP and iTunes 9.1.1, I used this to jailbreak:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9202

If you have a mac, use this instead:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9201

To unlock I used this:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Took about 5 minutes to do everything and it'll cost you ZERO!

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I actually like when people ask about these sites hopefully it stops others that were thinking of using them. So absolutely no harm in asking or mentioning these scam sites!

22. CalTech macrumors newbie

I am glad this question was brought up. I'm a relatively new iphone user who'd like to eventually jailbreak my iphone 3GS using 4.0. And to be honest I just landed here after being at www.androidoniphone.com. I wanted to believe that they could succeed but i am naturally cautious of too good to be true claims. So i searched to see if forum posts were buzzing, and here i am. :) Now i know I can either downgrade back to 3.1.3 and try jailbreaking there, or just be patient and grateful to the dev-teams who are working to make it happen for people in my exact position. And maybe soon i'll donate to support the cause too. Thanks for bringing this one up. :D