Are Penryn chips shipping in volume?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm26red, Feb 13, 2008.

1. cmm26red macrumors regular

OK, before I post this, please be advised that I have just as much disdain for unsubstantiated rumors as the next person. Having served in the military, I know that loose lips sink ships. I have yet to find anything about the upcoming MPB release that I find credible, including Hardmac, or various other sites who post one or two lines sighting a so called source. I bounce back and forth between here and the apple insider forums and have observed a member over there called tailpipe (Joined Aug 07) makle two posts over the pasts couple weeks that I find interesting. Take it as you will, believe it or not, it is entirely up to you. For me, this is the best and most believable discussion I have heard thus far about the new MPBs release. Even if it is not true, it still is a good read.

His first post was on 02-01-2008 @ 11:12 AM:

"This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-))

A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready.

The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so decided to delay the launch. Penryn-based PCs now good to go and begin shipping Monday.

Expect new MBP 15-inch and 17-inch within two weeks. 17-inch gets LED.
    New MBP DOES feature a slightly revised case design with the new black keyboard from MBA and a larger trackpad, but is basically very similar to existing design. Think evolution not revolution.

The idea is to achieve a commonality of look across the range.
    SSD will be an option offering an exceptionally fast boot time < 30 seconds.
    Also seen lurking in the corridors of Cupertino was an aluminum MacBook 13". Initially available in silver, my source reckons anodized black, blue, pink and other colours will be available around September. New MacBooks will be a big story later this year. One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13"."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83903

His second post was today, @ 11:17 AM

"The all new MacBook Pro was meant to make its debut at MacWorld in January. The big story was meant to be that while 2007 was all about the iPhone, 2008 would see Apple return to its roots: computers. Steve Jobs had planned to reveal a brand new 17" MacBook Pro, a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, (and, if my source is correct, there was even meant to be a brand new 13" model, but it isn't clear whether this was MacBook Pro or MacBook - but it is definitely aluminum). Having introduced these machines, the "...and just one more little thing." was meant to be the MacBook Air.

All of these machines feature the gesture touchpad, new keyboard, LED screens and super-sleek thinner case designs, longer battery life, lower weight than the existing line-up and 802.11n WiFi capabilities. What screwed up the launch was the manufacturing problem Intel is having with Penryn processors using the new 45Nm process. THEY STILL HAVEN'T YET SHIPPED IN VOLUME. Given that Leopard 10.5.2 wasn't ready either, the decision to pull the launch was made as a delay between announcement and launch would have killed Mac sales. As things stand, Apple will not launch any revised laptops until Penryn is up and running. That is expected to happen later this week or next week.

For these reasons, Apple is holding a special event in February which will include the iPhone SDK but no 3G iPhone yet.

Apparently, the decision to pull the launch of the revised range was only taken just before the MacWorld Conference and SJ was not amused. Fortunately, the MacBook Air uses a unique processor that was ready in time so this was unaffected by the penryn problem.
    So, be patient, friends, new MBPs are coming. The delay isn't Apple's fault.
    By all accounts, we'll all be delighted when these machines show-up. They'll be worth their WAIT in Gold."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84319

Now let me ask you all one question, can anyone provide proof that Intel's new mobile chip has shipped in volume? (While some manufacturers claim the laptops with the new chips are in stock, I have yet to see any ship and there are only one or two reviews on Penryn based laptops thus far).

2. Shua macrumors regular

I've seen a couple of companies list Feb 19th as the shipping date. So the 26th in thoery could be a "real" possiblity. We have also the 19th too (tuesday) as a possibility.

I hope its true and the 26th will be the day. You have to take every post with a grain of salt.

I <3 :apple: and want a new MBP so I can start processing my images.

Steve only said BOOM once.. so what can we say about this keynote. Not very impressive?

Time Capsule = Cool, but hardly a BOOM! AirPort Extreme + External Hard Drive... Opps.. but that doesn't work under 10.5.2. So Now I'm stuck with a APE and no wireless backup solution.

iTunes Movie Rental = Again Cool feature. Movie prieces are too high. NetFlix (1) movie at a time $8.99 a month. About eight movies a month roughly. Apple's price $24.00 a month based on "Library" titles and not new release. How about you add a subscription service for movies? If the rumors are right about NetFlix they are working on a DVD/Whatever for PS3/360 that will turn it into just that. Downloadable movie rental service.

:apple:TV = Cool Update. Fixing past mistakes. Now has 1080p output but no iTunes content is encoded at 1080p. (Plus huge delay in shipping movies in 1080p due to size)

MacBook Air - Cute Exec Laptop and mobile sales agent laptop. Lack of Power is #1 on the list. I've learned to deal with Space restrictions thanks to the iPhone so its more about Management and off-computer/phone storage.

3. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

What about the penryn processors for the upcoming iToaster machine?

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I really, really think that is enough with the iToaster stuff. :)

5. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Then you might want to look away ;)

6. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

Amen, its really annoying you guys should start your own stupid iToaster thread where all you morons can post.

7. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I'm not being a troll but I ordered a Dell XPS M1330 yesterday with the T9300 Penryn (2.5Ghz 6MB cache) and it did not list it a s a part that would delay the order. My ship date is listed as 2/20. We'll see...

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm confused. Why would SJ be "not amused" about the decision to delay? Isn't he the one who made the decision? :confused:

[RANT]

What SJ should have done is announce the new MBPs at MWSF and drop the price on the existing line. That's what companies who respect their customers do. There is no plausible scenario under which Apple would not have have come out ahead financially as a result of such a move. By choosing to keep everyone in the dark, I have no doubt Apple is losing some potential buyers to the PC competition, those who would otherwise gladly wait 3-4 extra weeks or buy the current model if it were offered at a more palatable price. And each such customer represents not just an immediate loss in profit on the sale of the MBP, but also loss of profit on futures software sales, since I doubt those people will be buying Aperture, Beno (or whatever it's called) and OS X 10.6. Oh, and one more thing: they're also less likely to buy an Apple TV and, OMG!!!, an iPhone.

[/RANT]

9. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

I would say that the fact that Dell is now shipping computers with Penryn would be a positive indication that they are shipping in volume now.

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

What he said.

11. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I sort of agree with this. I think Apple needs to stop these "unveilings" and just say hey we're releasing X in 3 weeks or 4 weeks. If I bought a current model today, and they came out next week, If I want it, not only am I paying for the new machine, I am going to have to pay a restocking fee to return the one I already bought. That stinks.

12. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Right, I think thats the issue. Now that Apple is using Intel Chips, technology is changing much faster than they are used too. Plus, whether they like it or not, they are now in the arms race with everyone else (Dell, HP, etc). Being secretive and releasing upgrades without warning is really starting to piss people off. Especially when you can now go to Dell and see what chips are available, right now!

I'm lucky my Dell XPS desktop still handles my needs, because if it didnt, I most likely would have bought another Dell by now instead of waiting. Looking to get my first Mac, I can honestly say, the way Apple runs there releases and updates really frustrates me.

Dell recently emailed me about their upcoming mid level desktop the XPS 630. They asked if I wanted to be on the mailing list when its available. Now, they didnt give me a specific date but at least they gave me the heads up about what to expect. Plus, Dell usually sends this email about 1month before its ready for order. So, I know thats coming up.

Well, thats my vent. Guess I'll keep waiting like the rest of you. Thanks for sucking me in to this waiting game you call HELL ! Wish I just stuck with my Dell lol.