Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Ok, ok, so I will say that the reception issue is real and is a problem, but do you people listen to yourselves sometimes? I read so many complaints on here about the most trivial things...My home button wiggles, my screen is "smudgier" than others, my screen lagged for half a second, should I exchange it?

Are we expecting too much out of the iPhone? Everyone has put it on a pedestal that is so high up, that it might never meet expectations again. I love the iPhone (awaiting my iP4) and I want it to be everything that it can be, but seriously guys/gals, It is still just a phone that is made by human beings who DO make mistakes. Steve Jobs is not a demigod who created the iPhone with his powerful powers.

This is not a flame rant so I'll ask a sincere question:

Do you think we expect too much from the iPhone 4?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ok, ok, so I will say that the reception issue is real and is a problem, but do you people listen to yourselves sometimes? I read so many complaints on here about the most trivial things...My home button wiggles, my screen is "smudgier" than others, my screen lagged for half a second, should I exchange it?
To a degree I think you're right.

It boils down to the fact that how "perfect" should a normal consumer expect his 400+ phone be. The home button wiggling, well that's a little much. Holding the phone and the reception dropping. Not kosher.

I agree that there are too many nit picking going on. Its only a phone after all.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Bit of a swings and roundabouts ....

Apple put so much emphasis on product launches and keynotes about perfection in manufacturing and precision, 'magic' and other hyperbole that when a product fails (even slightly - speaking generically here not about iP4) people cannot help feel disappointed...

I bought my iP4 sim-free from Apple, i paid £599 (not by any means an inconsiderable amount of my personal finances), my iP4's accelerometer failed within 24 hours, i swapped it, new one was 'fine' but for not being able to connect to several WiFi hot-spots which my 3GS and iPad (on 3.1.3 & 3.2 respectively) can connect to, iOS4 in places is laggy and is clearly bugged, iPod app crashes, other minor issues (i'm not experiencing the antenna issue personally so i won't comment on it).

So yeah .. i'm feeling disappointed to a degree but i also think its one of the single most pleasant pieces of consumer electronics i've ever had

Apple's biggest problem is their own self-imposed image of being a step above most other brands.... Their products are very very nice but this past 3 years there have been too many mis-steps and quality issues that needs to start getting under control (iMac display & gfx) problems, recent time-capsule recall, early unibody macbook pro issues...

If they want to maintain a premium image they have to work doubly hard on QA to make sure that device i get in my hand is the best that can be made.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Do you think we expect too much from the iPhone 4?

On this tech oriented web site that specifically caters to Apple products? It might seem that way. The larger 1 mill plus owner population? I don't think this place is a representative sample of that group, so who really knows. But I kinda doubt they are as worked up as this, and other places, might seem to suggest.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Around this site? Yeah. People do. You can find complaints about every single thing here if you hang around long enough.

But any problems that you see make it to 'normal' blogs and newspapers, well, then that's what I consider "real" issues. The iPhone 4 has had its fair share, to be sure.

Domo-Kun

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
...Are we expecting too much out of the iPhone? Everyone has put it on a pedestal that is so high up...

Apple themselves put that pedestal there to be viewed and make greater, they are by no means innocent, they are in some respects, but i they released the phone, there would have been a massive up roar of confussion from the customers if they delayed shipment and changed release dates. They wouldn't said it was recetion issues, since the keynote its self released the Bumper, which helps the problem that they missed.

Kevio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Oh I completely agree Apple themselves have talked it up to be the ultimate phone. Everyone knows Apple devices are magical. I suppose we feed into that and expect a device that has no flaws.

I honestly think iOS4 is mostly to blame for a lot of the problems. Hopefully once they release an update or two we can learn to fall completely in love with the iP4....Instead of the semi love/hate relationship a lot of people seem to be having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.