Are people in the iPhone 5 contract cycle luckier than people in the 4 S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I bought the 3G. Ever since I've always been on time to get the iPhone 4, now iPhone 5 for only $200.

While the 4 S was nice and I'm sure the 5 S will be nice too...

The 4 didn't look out dated when the 4 S came out and if the 5 S looks like the 5 them the 5 won't look out dated either.

Right now I'd hate to be under contract with a 4 S.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes....each new iphone is better than the last

next year you will hate being under contract with the 5 wen the 5s is out

3. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea but at least it won't look out dated like the 3 GS did when 4 came out

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

yes, they win more lotteries, and are much luckier with the opposite sex.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm on and prefer the non-S cyle. Upgrades feel more significant.

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It depends. The hard thing about the "S" cycle is that you have to wait a year for fresh designs, but at the same time you also get a more refined phone. It's up to the consumer to decide which is more important to them.

The thing I enjoy most about having the "S" phones is that there is already a full ecosystem of compatible accessories. And you get to enjoy the significant upgrade from the previous phone, and then a little extra. Coming from a 3GS to the 4S meant that I got to enjoy the upgrades from the 4, like the Retina Display and FaceTime camera, as well as Siri and a greatly improved back camera.

7. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do they get better jobs, oh wise one? Haha

8. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

It's very subjective to your personal taste.

New releases seem to have more problems - but you may get a different phone.

"S" releases typically fix the problems on the new release.

Take your pick.

Personally im going to hold out for the 5s this time around - too many problems

9. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes sense. I know the iPhone 5 has had issues.

Luckily, I've been ok except Siri not working sometimes but that's because of the servers.

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I can attest.

11. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

can't see this as argument.. I want iPhone 5 over 5S and want iphone 6 over iPhone 6S.. one is a minor upgrade and one is major upgrade. More ppl bought iphone 5 over iPhone 4S for good reason..

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'd rather be on the S. More refined, and the bugs are worked out.

Personally I'd rater have the best of a given body style.

13. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

WHat if you get all the phones every year... Are you luckier then?

14. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Just out more money ;)
    I'm glad I skipped the 4S as it wasn't better than a JB ip4. Now the 5 had enough for me to give up a jailbreak. If the 5 doesn't have a JB I'd consider the 5S as I would have the 4S w/o a 4 JB.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Exactly. Why skip a cycle? ;)

I'm lucky in that I have been able to get every new model, though I did only get a partial subsidy this time. Since my wife doesn't need the newest model, I can use the upgrade that's available each year going forward and we each get a new device to use.

16. JCCL macrumors 6502a

More people buy 5 over 4S just because the market is still growing. By your logic more people would have bought 4 over 4S, which was not the case. The market has kept growing year over year.

17. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

Look at the most basic level ppl wanted buy the iphone 5 for status symbol because it looked different then 4 and 4S. ppl always want a new model that they can easily differentiate. That wasn't the case with iPhone 4S and wont be the case with 5S. The interest in S models will always be less.

Not sure why even arguing this.. there a big air of disappointment with 4S was released because everyone wanted a redesign with bigger screen. Have you not compared the reviews of 4S to the 5? The 5's reviews are noticeably better.

18. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Not aware of a systemic issue like the gsm 4 antenna. Rushed manufacturing scratches here and there, bum units, all the same with S cycles as well

Doesn't mean there isn't one though ;)

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

But if you compared the non S vs the S, the S model wins. You're comparing a 4S to a 5, which are different body styles/generations. The 5 seems like such a huge step up from the 4/4S because they moved away from the 3.5" screen, and changed the 30 pin, not only that but it weighs significantly less, thus why the 5 had more people wanting it. Just like when the 4 came out, people went crazy because it was a redesign.

But when the 5S comes out, it will be superior to the 5. Faster, more features, kinks worked out, some sort of feature that the 5 wont have.

So if you think about it, being on the S cycle, even though you are getting a phone that physically looks similar to the previous, it is the BEST model out of the two, specs wise at least.

I'm on the S cycle only because my first iPhone is my 4S. Do I feel that being on the S cycle sucks? Absolutely not. Not saying that I'll be on the S cycle forever, but at this point in time it makes more sense.

There are also those that upgrade every year, which I personally could never do. I think every 2 years is the best way to be 'wowed' by the upgrade every time.

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Edit: Lol ooops! Didn't realize this thread was so old :eek: