Are People Really Becoming This Ignorant?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samiwas, Dec 27, 2008.

1. samiwas Suspended

So over the past few months, I have gone into a couple of museums to see some different exhibitions. These were exhibits more based around learning or family-type things, not walls of paintings or works of art.

After spending some time in these settings, it really becomes apparent either how ignorant so many people are, or how much they just don't care about following any sort of rule.

On one occasion, a mother and father were telling their daughter to stand right next to en exhibit case so they could take multiple pictures of her with the artifact, with flash. All over the place were signs saying "NO PHOTOGRAPHY". In fact, I think there was one of the signs in their picture.

Today, I was in a museum with a bunch of displays related to dinosaurs. One of the displays was a large (4'x12' maybe) replica of dinosaur footprints in the ground. This guy proceeds to walk onto it, and sit in one of the footprints, then get up and go to another one and lay down...ON THE DISPLAY.

On an exhibit I used to work on, we would find bubble gum pressed into the bottom of exhibit cases. That's not just gross, it's completely unimaginable.

In a non-museum setting, while walking in an enclosed skybridge between two buildings, with signs saying "No Smoking except in designated areas!", a guy I used to work with used this logic: "Well, I don't see a sign that says where a designated area is, so by law I am allowed to smoke anywhere", and he proceeded to light up.

I could go on and on and on with examples. But I just have to know how many people think that this sort of behavior is normal or acceptable. I am starting to see it so much, it's almost commonplace. I almost hate going anywhere these days because I'm usually surrounded by people who just do not know how to behave (don't even get me started on trying to go to a movie!), and it drives me to the point of anger.

Thoughts?? Things you have seen?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Yes, there does seem to be an increase of self-centered attitudes. It's a lack of empathy for others and how actions affect those around us.

You brought up movies. A couple summers ago I was at the movies with my kids and someone's cell goes off. I thought, perhaps, the guy might turn off the phone, but he had the gall to answer it and proceeded to chat for five minutes until an usher finally asked him to turn it off.

I try to see the good things people are doing because dwelling on this kind of stuff will give you ulcers. You can only set a good example for others to follow.

3. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

People are not always as you wish them to be; they are not perfect. I agree with you that these behaviors are rude, asinine, and crude, but that is human nature. Its a certainty that someone, somewhere will act stupidly, and unfortunately this is something that you seem to have observed a lot. If you cannot accept that and you let it torment you, you are destined to live a miserable life. I try to just laugh at this idiotic behavior, and not take it seriously or let it get me down.

4. samiwas thread starter Suspended

While I accept that dwelling on such things doesn't help, to suggest that you just have to accept it and move on is not the best solution either. This only allows people to become more ignorant or care even less, because there is never any consequence to their actions. One person here and there wouldn't bother me...I would just laugh that off or use it as a good story. But it is coming to the point where the number of people acting like idiots is FAR outweighing the normal crowd. Maybe it's just where I live (well, that is a large part of it).

The previous poster's example of people with cellphones in movies is a perfect one. My parents were relaying their experience a few days ago regarding a recent visit to a theater that almost resulted in a fight. The people in front of them were using their phones constantly. When my mother asked them to turn them off (for the third time), the guy called her a bitch and told her to mind her own business, then tried to pick a fight with my step father.

I hate going to movies now, and cringe every time my wife wants to go. I would say at least 90% of the time, someone is either talking, texting, or dealing with their crying child in a rated-R movie. To suggest I should just let it go is pathetic.

People need to learn how to act responsibly in public. Acting irresponsibly is not just human nature, it's an action picked up by a lack of discipline or caring....or both.

5. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

since I work in retail, what annoys me the most is how customers can NOT read and they expect you to tell them. For an example, "does this work on vista?" well gee I don't know lets look at the box. Nope, it doesnt say vista does it?

Another thing, customers thing they are the greatest thing on earth. Especially when they don't put their unwanted merchandise back where it belongs. Then these are the ones that gets angry because they can't get something for the price the "saw" it as. Then, they get angry with us because we can't put things back to where they belong. Well, get off your butts and maybe you can put things where they belong?

Sorry, this thread has a similar thing with retail...People are ignorant and blind. :mad::mad::mad:

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I can see your point of view and I don't disagree with it.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A similar situation resulted in a shooting. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28401781/

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I'm somebody who doesn't care what other people think of me, but I do have my values. It's quite sad how people are talking on phones during a movie!
    Another thing is spitting, but that's probably just me...

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Way too many people seem to think that they are the center of the universe.

10. samiwas thread starter Suspended

Yes...I read that this morning, and it's what started the thinking of this thread in my mind. Then going out today and seeing the guy climbing on the museum display did me in.

While I would never condone shooting someone for making noise in a theater, maybe (OK, probably not) it will make some people think.

This is a non-denominational thread. All areas are welcome!

11. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i am by no means an excellent drive of any sort but what really bugs me is people cruising in the passing lane.

not to mention if they are going slower than the lane on the right (the "cruising lane")

and fing minivans and civics going 85

and not to mention people who weave in and out of traffic.

ya i had a long drive today. all i have to say is how come minivans either go 65 or 85, and are always in the passing lane.

omg not to mention when two lanes have to merge and you get some guy not merging but trying to pass and its not like he gets there any faster.

ahhhhhhhhhhh

12. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

since benlangdon mentioned drivers...the elderly people that do NOT know how to drive at the speed limit or drive between two lanes need to get off of the road. Also, here we have blonde chicks that will do their make up while driving on the expressway/freeway. One of these days they will cause a really nasty accident. Lastly, I absolutely hate it when people can't use their damn turn signals to change lanes or turn. I have had way too many close calls cause people can't watch where they are going. Hmm, which also comes to mind that when people are at the light they see it as this Red: means stop, Green: means stop, Yellow: means go. I mean most of them apparently are colored blind or something.

I absolutely love it when the driver gets mad at you for honking your horn when they do something stupid or being careless. They act like they didn't do anything wrong.

*gets off the soap box* (you may see me back on it again soon)

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, a nearby theatre had an incident a while back. Someone was in the theatre waving a laser pointer all over the screen, someone told them to cut it out and later, in the lobby, the guy who was using the point stabbed the guy who asked it to be stopped. Luckily it was only in the leg, and I seem to remember he was fine, but still damn.

Stupidity is on the rise in a really big way. I work fast food(only till I finish school, only till I finish school, only till I finish school) and the number of idiots and people who don't understand how to behave is astounding.

I had a guy walk up to one of my cashiers(I'm management) and start ordering, thing was, we had about 5 people in line, and he just cut in front of them. She was new and didn't really know how to handle it, so I went over and told him that there was a line and he would need to wait. He looked at the line and said "What? I need to wait, THEN order? That's ******** man" then gave our line the finger and walked off.

I just, what? The level of idiocy amazed me, apparently the concept of a line is foreign to him. Then we get the people who decide that the best place to hang around in the mall is 3 feet in front of our counter, blocking our customers and generally being loud/obnoxious. I don't get it, where did common courtesy go? My mom always taught me to be polite and respectful in public, basically to treat everyone well, but these people just seem to act like animals.

Frigging disgusting.

14. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i feel ya.
    talking about horns.
    i use mine way to much, but i think thats because i have an air horn, which is awsome because you can not just ignore it, if you really are annoying i will just hold it down, it helps me vent :D

15. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

he he, thats great. ever thought about having a punching bag and just beat the hell out of it? Good way to let your your road rage...there been way too many occasions when road rage would have been the result of the cops being called.

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Seconded. Many times.

I had a customer come and ask why we'd locked the garden centre and if we could please let him in last week. Yes, the doors were closed. There's also massive signs on the door with big arrows saying 'these doors are closed as we are being eco-friendly. to open, please push the button on the side' with arrows pointing at the buttons. And then above the sign we've also put a little sign saying 'please push button to open door'.

And he still didn't get it, and goes on about how we're locking customers out.

17. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

For everyone positive experience that reaffirms my faith in humanity, there are about 20 ones that make me believe the human race is getting dumber and as put here, self-centric.

- Double parking EVERYWHERE but turning on hazard lights, which makes it OK.
    - When there is a long line of cars (freeway exit, stoplight, etc), going to the front and then putting on blinker, holding up traffic.
    - Leaving "loaded" diapers in public (park bench, parking lot, etc)
    - Taking two parking spots (recently saw a huge HD truck take FOUR! Didn't try to squeeze into two but centered itself within four spots in a busy downtown parking lot)
    - Eating food at a grocery store and not paying for it
    - Public litter (really...is it so hard to put it where it belongs?)

18. samiwas thread starter Suspended

Oh, don't get me started on drivers. I live in Atlanta, GA...and I have never seen such atrocious driving in my life. And a good part of it is not people being jerks, but people just being that dumb. It's almost an epidemic of people pulling into the left turn lane, blinker on and all...then changing their blinker to a right blinker and pulling across 3 lanes of traffic to turn right instead. I would say in a typical day, I see this 3-5 times in the course of an hour...it really is that bad.

I honestly think I could write a book on the stupid things I see driving around Atlanta. Actually, it would probably be more the size of Encyclopedia Brittanica.

And drivers on cell phones...or texting...argh...

19. samiwas thread starter Suspended

20. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

are you kidding me, in California they actually have a law in effect as of jan 1st that says no texting while driving.

they even post this on those electronic billboards on the freeway.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would have dropped that mother******.

I don't feel sorry for the guy who got shot at all. No, he didn't deserve to be shot, but he was shot for being an inconsiderate jerk, and if he was asked to shut it, then too bad. I guess a beating would have sufficed.

Merry Christmas.