Are people *really* buy a second iPhone to replace bricked ones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unspeaked, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

It seems that I've come across folks saying that on more than one thread, but I still can't believe it!

That's got to be the saddest thing I've read in this forums in a long, long time. You shell out between $400 and $600 (depending on when you purchased the phone) for the device, you install some hacks or unlock the thing, you then ignore Apple's warnings and install an update that everyone expected would break your phone and - surprise! - it does.

And then you buy a new one?

1) The consumerist argument: Yeah, that'll really show Apple not to mess with hacked phones.

2) The economic argument: Wouldn't it have been better to not attempt an update and instead donate that second $400 to the Red Cross, global warming efforts, a random homeless guy in the street, etc?

I'm just baffled by this. I didn't think there were so many folks who could A) be so indifferent that their fancy gadget broke that they'd just go in and pick up a second one and B) be so rich that they replace a several hundred dollar cell phone on a whim...

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

unless you absolutely can't live without your iphone i would suggest waiting a few days, someone will create a fix :)

but yea if your rich enough to not care about the $ just buy a new one and if a fix comes along you can ebay it or have a backup

3. sananda macrumors 68020

i really don't know why they installed the update.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Is it really indifference?

I call it more-- resignation or acceptance.

Some people took the chance to modify their phone knowing full well that that would void Apple's warranty on that specific device. If one such device is now rendered dysfunctional, what choice do these folks have other than to 1) get a replacement iPhone, 2) get another SIM-capable phone to use, or 3) pay for service and have no cell phone?

I personally don't have that sort of money and no interest (so far) in the apps I've seen or in unlocking the iPhone. I opted not to modify the phone because of those reasons, and because I am one person who's unwilling to give up warranty coverage due to my own actions. Others are willing to do so.

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I understand what you're getting it.

I just thought there'd be more people up-in-arms about their phone breaking and demanding a new one at the Apple Store, or similar.

I guess maybe the people who took a change with the update are the same type of person who understands what they're getting into and accepts the consequences. I find it a little hard to believe that they're *all* such well adjusted people, but I guess it's possible...!

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

They're not.

Hence the posts and posts and threads and threads of angry rants and whining. :)

7. aerospace macrumors 6502a

The update specifically warns you that installing on an unlocked phone could cause irreparable damage. Hopefully enough can read to avoid this fate.

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Quick question, Do I have the option to install this update? Can I refuse it? I haven't been able to plug my unlocked iphone into itunes, but I'm assuming that the update is like ipod updates, it ask's you if you want to install. Can anyone confirm this?

9. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out the same. Perplexing:confused:

10. bbehringer macrumors newbie

bbehringer

Options

Mine isn't unlocked or anything of that nature but:

When I plugged my phone in the day of the update it said a new update found would you like to update now?

Yes Later About

(I think were the options) Regardless I know there was a Later button so you should be able to ignore it. I even think there may be a "don't ask again" bullet. :apple:

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

That's what I'm hoping for..