Are People Still Jailbreaking now that iOS 5 is out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bluisnblklungs, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

This is an honest question, are people still jailbreaking their phones now that iOS5 is out? What features does jail breaking add that apple does not include, this goes for the iPad as well.

Thanks,

Eric

2. calvy macrumors 65816

of course they are.

a) jailbreak notification systems are way better than the iOS5 notifications. Check out LockInfo.

b) sbsettings. Everytime I have to go into the Settings app to turn off Bluetooth when I want to use my bluetooth headset, I wish for a jailbreak on my 4S.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

iOS5 definitely has improved in terms of notifications, but the few things I'll be jailbreaking for:
    • BiteSMS (however, with the 4S and iOS5, opening Messages doesn't take long at all, so it doesn't really bother me anymore... I still miss quick reply though)
    • SBSettings - Why can't they just allow me to toggle Wi-Fi without having to go all the way into settings -_-

And actually, that's pretty much it.

EDIT- OH! And emulators. Yeaaahhhh

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes, it offers many advantages to experienced users.

Personally I always have one iPhone that is stock, and one to enjoy all the things one can do via JB.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

themes is the only reason i would still jailbreak for oh and sbsettings everything else is pretty much already included.

6. TillysWily macrumors regular

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

At this point for me, I'd only jailbreak my iPad. Back in iOS 2 or 3 days there were huge advantages, but right now, the only thing I'd jailbreak my phone for would be unlimited tethering, but I like having to not worry about more stuff by running stock firmware.

As for the iPad, I can play lots of different games on emulators (most of which I own) even with a wiimote via bluetooth which I think is cool. I couldn't see myself doing that on my phone, but with my iPad, yes.

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Sbsettings and nolockscreen: I love the quick toggles for settings and not having to slide to unlock.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and soon you will be adding Siri as a reason to jail break.

10. MacTheChipper macrumors member

11. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

So I can write my own applications without having to pay $99 on a yearly basis.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Stealing is certainly not why I jailbreak. Heads up since your new Stealing/Piracey is not a topic MR allows! to TS yes I still like my jailbreak I don't like company's including Apple telling me what I can do with my phone!

13. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

For SB settings, LockInfo, Grooveshark , and MyWi!

14. Tommeh macrumors member

15. chrisvee macrumors regular

No 4S jailbreak yet! :( I want some good widgets, I hate having to go all the way into settings to turn off Wifi.

Also, seeing that the 4S doesn't have the Enable 3G switch, do you think it's possible to turn it off at all? I know that some other apps have options for it.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

IntelliScreenX combines a and b into one amazing looking tweak. I am a long time Lockinfo user and I haven't looked back since this was released yesterday.

It's currently in beta but 100% functional. Three day free trial and $9.99 for a license. Totally worth it.

17. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I miss FaceTime over 3G...everything else is ok to live without.

18. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

yep, since i now get tethering legally, i see no need for jailbreaking my device. it was the final piece of my happy 'i' jigsaw.

19. Bettz1 macrumors regular

Sbsettings,lock info & bite SMS I miss having the contact pics at the side makes it look even nicer!! Of and themes

20. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

iBlacklist
    FolderEnhancer
    Music Controls Pro
    iFile
    BiteSMS
    SBSettings

And that's just the short list. I have over 100 JB packages on my phone that mostly add functionalty--not including theming. iOS 5 replaces ONE function out of that entire list, the ability to make Photo Albums on the phone directly, while adding a bunch of crap I'll never use. In my case, I'd be an idiot not to keep jailbreaking--at this rate, Apple will finally make my phone and iPad my way sometime long after I'm dead.

21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm jailbreak mine for various reasons. I like My3G on my iPhone so I can facetime when I'm out and about. I also use MyWi when I don't have wifi for more than a week. I like the various themes that I can change my iPhone to when I have Winterboard and I can also change the font on my iPhone with Bytafont.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Can't wait to jailbreak again for many reasons, but I refuse to jailbreak tethered. As soon as an untethered jailbreak comes out, I'll jump on it. :)

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

People being able to access the file system to get information off the device still seems a pretty compelling reason to jailbreak, as does the insanely stupid lack of a wifi/bluetooth on/off toggle in anywhere accessible.

There's also a more philosophical issue about Apple's content censorship on the app store.

Phazer