Are phones ordered through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program shipped unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cscottrun, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

According to Apple's Website, the iPhone 7 and 7+ come unlocked if ordered via Apple's Upgrade Program. I noticed as I was walking through the process, eventually I hit a screen that says: "Unlocked iPhone connected to Verizon Wireless". Can anyone confirm this via past purchases such as the 6s?

Therefore, at least as per my understanding, everyone would be better off ordering a Spring/Verizon phone through the upgrade program because they are the only phones GSM and CDMA capable, correct?

2. DVDxR macrumors regular

The problem is I think it still needs to be attached to a line of service. For instance with my AT&T order on the upgrade program I still had to give them my AT&T account info in order to check out.

3. SunnyFL macrumors regular

My question is if I do the iphone forever through Apple and select Sprint does the phone have to be activated to the number you give them?
    My iphone on Sprint is on a corporate plan and I get the "We're sorry. Your existing rate plan isn't an eligible iPhone plan. You can contact your carrier to keep your current phone number. You can also create a new account at an Apple Store" message but me wife, hers is personal and it will go through. If I order a new phone with the iphone forever option and use her number and pin to get it will I be able to activate it on my number?