Are Power Mac G5 cases universal?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Troy2000, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Troy2000, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

Greetings!

I recently managed to find an excellent deal on a quad core Power Mac G5. The unit is in perfect working order and I have stress tested it thoroughly but cosmetically speaking, it resembles something that fell out of an aircraft at high altitude and was then repeatedly trampled by a train.

There are many inexpensive G5s in good condition available locally which would make perfect case donors but I'm not sure whether all G5 cases are interchangeable. Will a dual or single core G5's case house the motherboard and LCS of a quad core unit?

I would be very grateful for any input. :3

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The port layout on the late '05 G5s(dual core 2.0, dual core 2.3, and quad core 2.5) is quite different from earlier G5s.

You could probably get away with swapping the case with one of the lower spec late '05 models, but not with an earlier G5.

3. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

4. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

If just the handles are bent, you can actually remove that entire panel and replace it with a good one from a donor case. The problem is that it's cumbersome, requiring complete disassembly of the internal components and case.