are RAM memory chips the same in all MacBook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huntor, Jul 7, 2009.

1. huntor macrumors newbie

im guessing they change when they take a step up in processor chips..
    or at least im hoping..

my real question is; if i buy an 8 or 4 GB memory upgrade for my current laptop, (which is a 17'' macbook pro 2.33GHz core 2 duo) would i be able to put it in the new macbook pros? ..if i decided to buy a new laptop, that is.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Current MacBook Pros use DDR3-1066 RAM. I'm pretty sure your MBP uses DDR2-667. If that is the case, then no, you can't.

3. huntor thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i had a feeling it was gunna be like that,

i've been surfing the net for a decent price on some RAM chips.
    anyone know where some good deals are?

also, can MBP's handle two 8gb chips at once? i know it's ridiculous to put 16 GB of memory in a laptop but i think i read somewhere that you can only have up to 8 GB? is that true or just some bs?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8GB chips don't exist yet. Buy RAM from OWC.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

And your laptop will choke on 8GB. Best you can do is 2GB + 4GB chips for a total of 6GBs.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

8gb kits (2x4GB) are insanely expenisive right now. Unless you really need that much RAM just go w/ a conventional 4GB kit (2x2GB). You can get the Crucial kit @ Newegg for around $64 shipped.

If you have money to burn spend it on a fast SSD. That is your best performance bang for the buck.

7. huntor thread starter macrumors newbie

i was looking at the 4 gb's, most of em are around 150. probably run 5 gb for a while then step it up to 6 after a month or two.

ssd? it that short for solid state drive? if so, what are the top brands i should look into? i really dont want to spend 8 to 900$ for a 250GB hd. if it makes my laptop 10x faster and have it actually last, then i'll take it. but if we're still clocking the speeds by the millisecond and can only see a blink of an eye's difference between drives, then why shouldn't i wait a year until ssd's are perfected a little, and the prices have dropped. aren't there fast cheap drives out there that'll boost my comps speed and reduce heat?

i'll seriously do anything to get my comp to stop over heating. the fans drive me insane. they kick on full blast every two minutes. this shiitis redic.

what upgrade is gunna boost my speed and cut down on the heating more. the ram or the hd? ..what about the processor? could that be what's heatin up the comp?

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Check out crucial.com just select the model computer you have and it'll tell you the correct spec memory. but yeah, for the 2.33 you'll need the
    PC2-5300/667 mhz. it can only handle 3.3gb but for me, I put a 4gb matched pair (2x2gb) so it could run in dual channel.

9. huntor thread starter macrumors newbie

this ***** made me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUY5...om/netbook/index.aspx&feature=player_embedded

how long was i out? heh lol

edit: "Maximum Memory: 3072MB"

Why is that the maximum memory? why is there a maximum memory? what's stopping it from using more memory? and if i put 4GB or more of ram in it would it work? would it use all the memory or would it only use 3GB and just stop?

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

11. huntor thread starter macrumors newbie

well i was.

..and im high, so it made it a tad funnier.
    and dont call me bud, kid