Are refubished and none thesame

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxAMB3xX, Jun 4, 2009.

1. XxAMB3xX macrumors newbie

i wanna know if the refubished macbooks are the same as the new one

:apple: FOR LIFE :apple:

2. Toofan macrumors member

Refurbished Macbook's imply they aren't new. They've been used before. That being said, unless the refurb is brutally old, i'm almost certain you won't notice a difference between a new macbook and a refurbed one. The only risk you run is minor aesthetic physical defects which apple considers "passable" by refurbished standards.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Refurbs are returned to Apple, then Apple fixes what's wrong with them, and sells them for a discounted price with the same warranty as a new model.

The only difference you'll likely notice is the refurbs have generic brown packaging.

4. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

What the others have said pretty much sums it up, why, what are your concerns?

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

A refurb is the same machine, only someone has used it for a short time and Apple ships it in a brown box instead of the pretty packaging. There is also a small chance that you may get extra RAM or something that was installed by the previous owner.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You don't get any upgrades unless it was the previous generation, and that is not often. Apple pretty much reassembles the things, and I think they'd notice some more RAM. And the thing gets a new serial # starting with "RM" for Remanufactured.

7. phatlipboardz macrumors member

I haven't purchased refurb, but anticipate buying both a mini and macbook refurbished.

I'll be saving a couple of bucks, and I'll know that someone (QA) actually looked the machine over before it was shipped.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I have a Macbook Air rev A refurb, looks perfectly new. Only difference is, what others have said, the packaging.

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

SEARCH the threads... for life.

10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Which is completely different than Best Buy's open box models. The sales person told me it was completely checked out by the Geek Squad.

On registration the computer crashed, ya not a good sign. Then I restarted and 10 min later is crashed again.

When I took it back, as I was walking away to get a new one, one geek said to the other, that was the second time, we better send it back.

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Yeah like everyone else said here, Apple Refurbs are like new, checked and sold by Apple, which is pretty neat...