Are refurbished MBP's "safe"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Say What??, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Say What?? macrumors member

Refurbished Macbook pros are so much cheaper but i'm wondering if they are "safe" to buy.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Refurbs are known for turning on their new owners in the middle of the night and performing heinous acts on their families.

Refurbs are exactly the same as new machines; they are returned to Apple, subjected to hardware tests, given fresh software installs, and shipped to you in plain boxes.

They're cheaper, and you will occasionally get a higher-speced machine than what you paid for! People have gotten RAM, HDD, processor, and even graphics card updates that weren't in the listed specs!

4. Say What?? thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to college soon so obviously i'm buying on a budget. Is there any reason for me not to get a refurbished MBP?

5. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

get a refurb and save money

You'll want to add RAM, etc., to any machine so save your money and put it into the add-ons.

The Refurb warranty is the same as for new (1 year); make sure you get Applecare within the first year and you'll be fine.

6. AndyM macrumors member

7. davidwellings macrumors newbie

Refurbished MB Pro's

If you are going to college - please, please, please, do yourself a big favour and check out with 'Apple Education' for their discounts!!!!

If you are going to do Higher Education, even better discounts are available and the Applecare on a Macbook Pro (normally nearly £300!) is £58.

In fact the discounts for ALL Macs are very good and that price of £58 for Applecare is the very same for EVERY machine!

8. Say What?? thread starter macrumors member

I tried to compare a refurbished and a similar one with the education discount. It seemed like the refurb was the better deal. Yes, i am planning on going to graduate school. Would I only get that discount until I am enrolled in the school?

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

depends where you are (country) with the EDU Discount

If you are in the North America, all you have to do is show proof of education (a student I.D. usually works)

If you are in the U.K. or elsewhere the rules are different and usually stricter...

If you are currently not enrolled, you are probably going to have to wait to you're enrolled.

But in the end, the refurbs will be cheaper...(how much do you really want that black box?)

10. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

You DO NOT have to be enrolled in order to get the discount. If you have an acceptance letter or email address from the school, they will give you the discount. In my buying experience, usually using the education discount but on a few occasions buying refub computers and ipods, the best education discount deals happen in June when Apple runs the buy a mac get a free ipod deal... during which I usually sell my free ipod and end up with a cheaper machine.

However, my refurb experience has also been excellent. I bought a refurb macbook to replace an ibook I sold before moving to my current MBP. I got an fantastic deal on it and it served me well for the 6 months I needed it.

You might want to check out Amazon also.. no tax immediately makes it a pretty good deal usually, especially since they have decent rebates on occasion.

11. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

the school discount is like $100 off for myself, might be more or less for you but you are better off getting a refurb or a used one on here or craiglist than buying a new one since you are on a budget. best bet would be to save up and get a refurb. you lose a few things like getting the original box and a few others but it gets made up by getting perhaps a faster ram or one thing or another. you can always buy the original box off someone else too so it's no biggie.

12. illidian macrumors 6502

As has been stated, the refurbished models are slightly cheaper than the Education Discount provides for. The savings become even greater when you get a model that's only one generation "too old."

However, there are reasons to go with the Education Discount. As has been stated, a free iPod isn't a bad deal if you don't have an mp3 player, and if you figure that into the price you'll be getting your MBP cheaper than a refurbished. Also, some people just have to have a new machine, or the one that's the best available (some of those appear in the Refurb Store as well, it should be mentioned).

The bottom line: you pay more even with the Education Discount, but only you can say if it's worth the difference.

13. Say What?? thread starter macrumors member

I already have an iPod. If I sold the brand new unopened iPod, how close to the retail price would i be able to sell it for?

14. illidian macrumors 6502

Check eBay. :rolleyes:

15. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yes, refurb is a slightly better deal than ed. Whether the ipod makes ed cheaper depends on which model computer you buy because the price difference on MBs is less than on MBPs (you save more - compared to ed - on a MBP than on a MB).

Remember there is a cost-benefit here too. How much time and expense is it to sell something on ebay to make back a bit on the ipod?

16. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i bought a referbished imac g3 quite a while back and it ran really good and the store i bought it from them and replaced the ram and hdd to bigger and better thats why i belive referbished im not sure if apple does that but when i bought my macbook new lik the battery was crap so then i had to get a new one from apple

17. greeneggs28 macrumors newbie

greeneggs28

There is no reason not a get a refurb. A couple of months ago I was debating going for a "NEW" 2.2 15" MBP for about $2,000, instead I got a 2.4GHZ, 17" Hi res, 7200 RPM HD for about $300 more. It came in perfect condition, all your really missing out on is the pretty box. So pretty much I got a $3050 computer for $2350. Not one ounce of regret here.

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

exactly they even lik get new casing if they have to my brothers ipod broke and sent it to apple and in lik a day they sent him a referbished ipod looked brand new