Are refurbs dependable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jukes316, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jukes316, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011

Jukes316 macrumors regular

Are they dependable? I really want a MBP. Especially with 2.2 and the higher gcard. But getting a brand spankin new one is out of my price range. :(
    I've looked on ebay and craigslist a little. But none have really seemed right. And not much of ebay user, so tough to commit on a bid.

Anyone have experience with refurbs? '

Thanks.

2. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

I picked up a refurb recently and I haven't had any problems with it.

Cosmetically I couldn't even tell, it looked brand new.

3. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I think I might have to go with refurbs if nothing catches my eye on Ebay or Craigslist.

4. majohnson macrumors newbie

Refurbs?

I'm on my 3rd refurb, a MBP 15". I have never had any issues with them. I started with getting a Mac Mini, then a black Macbook, and now as I mentioned a Macbook Pro. I live on disability, so money is a little tight and I cut cost any whay I can to save $$. They come 1yr warranty and if you use a credit card, you will get an extra year on the warrenty. Not all of the refurbs are units that have had problems. Some have returned by customers for what ever reason.

5. jim2008 macrumors newbie

I bought a lot of refurbs from apple, including apple TV, airport extreme router, a white macbook, and recently a 17" macbook pro. Everything works well except the 17" macbook pro, its battery died after few hours of use, but I was luck enough to get an exchange (a brand new mbp) in a local apple store.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My mid-2009 MBP is a refurb. I've had no issues at all. Runs below 50 C for the most part and has never exceeded 70.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would trust refurbs....they are backed by a warranty after all.

8. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

jim2008, so you got a refurb and it didn't work. So went to store and got a NEW one? Must have been awesome to find that out! ;)

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a 09' Macbook unibody. 2.26 ghz. I looked at the Apple Recycle Program and it says I could get 365 for it if I send it in.
    Think that's what it's worth? Or could I get more on craigs or ebay. Trying to scrounge up money to get the ^MBP lol.

9. tums macrumors member

I buy exclusively refurbs. I can't think of the last Mac I purchased that wasn't a refurbished computer. cwl

10. ChazB macrumors member

My refurb has been working flawlessly the past 24 hours and looks brand new. I got Apple Care too to make sure though. I would have with a new one too.

11. jbjones85 macrumors member

I picked one up (well it was delivered to me) about a week ago and cosmetically it looked brand new. I couldn't find a scrach on it. The warranty is the same as a new one so no downside there. The only thing you don't get is the fancy box and the battery had 4 cycles on it, but to me the box wasn't worth $300 and my battery cycles were so low they might as well been 0.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple refurbs are like new. Right down to the protective plastic.

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

bought mine from the refurb store two years ago. works perfect, never any issues!

14. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. Well it's been ordered!
    Should arrive 9th-12th. Can't wait.
    Hopefully I don't get one with a bunch of cycles on it.

15. silverf1re macrumors regular

I bought a 2010 refurb and am having wifi issues. After several calls to apple now I have to go to the apple store for repair. Im sure i am a rare case, but it still sucks that I have to drive an hour to get it repaired.

16. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

If you EVER have to use your warranty, what you'll get back is a refurb by definition. Basically, if you get your hard drive replaced, your machine is now a refurb. By law, they're not allowed to label it new. Refurbs are great, if not better (kinks worked out for sure). But hey, some people just need to have the "new" label. (myself)

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Enjoy your new computer. I've only had good experiences with refurbs. Any problems I've had where fixed by warranty.