Are replacements from Apple Store new or refurbished?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g35, Jun 6, 2011.

1. g35 macrumors 6502a

I had my iPhone 4 (purchased July 31) replaced at the Apple Store by a genius. (Disclaimer: first iPhone replacement ever, I'm not one of those people that abuses this service).

Anyway I noticed that the serial number begins with 85119.... (and it came with 4.2.2) The genius said it's a new phone, but took it out of a dirty-looking, flat black box with rounded sides (not like the white boxes people say their replacements usually come in). I'm not really taking him at his word because other people have reported having geniuses say it's a new phone even if it has a 5K... serial no. I know that 5K... is definitely refurbished, but could 85119....also be? I really don't know.

I personally would have preferred a refurbished phone so that I know it's been tested and whatnot, but it's not a big deal. Anyway I'm just wondering if this is a new iPhone or a refurbished, and if it is new, how come I got a new one instead of a refurb? (not a brag thread, just wondering why this might be...it's been out for almost a year, there should be refurbs available, right?)

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The type of box it comes out of does not determine if it is new or refurb. The replacements come in the same box. Could have been either.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

as long as it looks and works good, don't worry about if its new or refurb.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Most replacements are refurbished. Some people, after exchanging their refurbs repeatedly, will occasionally get a new one.