are sbssettings the same as ncsettings?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Globug, May 31, 2012.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

do i need both? I just jailbroke my 4s running 5.1.1 and i was wondering which i need. I use to have a jailbroken 3gs running sbsettings, so i reinstalled those again on this phone. But if ncsettings are better i'll get those. Just confused aboutwhat the diff is. :eek:

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They are just two differents apps from differents developers that do similar toggles, you don't need both.

I used SBSsettings forever so that is what I have, but I heard that NCsettings look a bit better and it is integrated on the Notification center.

I would download one, try it out, download the other one, try out for a few days and then decided which one you want to use.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

SBsettings has been around since almost the beginning of jailbreaking and alot of people have been using it forever. It has been reliable... you can now integrate it into notification center and change the look with many themes.

NCsettings is the new kid on the block and looks a little more polished, but at the end of the day they both do the same thing.... Sbsettings has stood the test of time though

just follow maturola's advice and try them both then decide which one you like (sbsettings is free)

4. wingrunr21 macrumors newbie

I just switched to NCSettings when I updated to 5.1.1. I have been happy with it so far. I always used to get a small amount of lag when activated SBSettings but using NC is nice and snappy.

5. Shrek1970 macrumors member

Have used Sbsettings since for about 3 years but 2 days ago switched to Ncsettings and won t be going back to Sbsettings.

6. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

+1

7. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

Does NCsettings have the RAM display that SBSsettings has?

Do it have a Kill-All Active Apps feature too?

----------

Isn't NCsettings free too?

8. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

No RAM, no Kill apps and it is free.

I use activator to assign a left to right swipe to kill apps (with RemoveBG)...actually one step less than having it in NCSettings.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I am liking NCSettings, however I am getting pretty annoyed that it rests toggles every time they push an update.

10. MastahRiz, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

A good summary albeit a bit incomplete. Not only does SBSettings have a ton more toggles out of the box (SSH- kind of a big one, tethering, Wifi-SMS, SMS alerts, Firewall IP, Adblock, GV Send, etc) but it also has some additional features that you don't get with NCsettings.

Some examples are:

1. SBSettings tells you your IP and available ram
    2. Has the ability to hide icons on your home screen
    3. Statusbar customizations such as date, free memory and a few others.
    4. Wifi, Signal strength and battery can be displayed numerically.
    5. Ability to delete carrier name
    6. And the most important-- you can toggle pretty much any mobile substrate tweak that you have installed to troubleshoot your iPhone and see if anything is causing problems. In other words, you can just toggle a cydia tweak ON/OFF through SBSettings instead of having to go into Cydia and uninstall the tweak just to see if it's troublesome to your device.

While in the end it still comes down to personal preference and your own perception of aesthetics/ themeing and overall integration, as far as pure features go, SBSettings has a big lead.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Both of them are free :)

12. mario24601 macrumors regular

I forgot about these points. Thanks, think I'm going to switch back to sbs. I like nc but miss the date on status bar, removing carrier name.

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I'm pretty sure the dev tweeted today that if anyone is having that problem then they should use the reset all settings inside ncsettings' settings.

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Boom. Thanks!

15. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

No problem! I was having that issue too. I pressed the reset all settings. We'll see what happens with the next update...if there ever will be an update. He also tweeted that he is thinking that he'll stop working on ncsettings because it is taking up too much of his free time especially for an app thats free.

16. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I feel NCsettings is already near-perfect. Won't blame him if he's moving on.
    I secretly hope he will integrate the DoNotDisturb switch (just install "DoNotDisturb"and see how ugly and tall it is), but it is probably more complex than just... switches.

17. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Could you please be super awesome and tell me which toggles i would need to install for the ablity to delete icons on home screen (or if it comes with it HOW i can do that)
    Also how can i toggle cydia apps from sbsettings?

Thanks in advance! :)

18. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Do you mean hide icons? If so, just open SBSettings and tap on the gear icon near the bottom left that says "More." The full SBSettings control panel will open up and if you scroll down to where it says "System Wide Options," the first option there is "Hide Icons" which if you click on, you can see that you can toggle icons to be hidden or unhidden. Anything that is Toggled ON is Visible, and anything that is toggled OFF is Hidden. After changing these toggles, you can hit back, then the home button and your device may or may not need to respring. If it does, it will do so on its own.

For "toggling cydia apps," or rather, toggling mobile substrate tweaks (meaning not all your cydia apps will show up here, just most of them that use mobile substrate to work) you follow the same steps I mentioned above until you get to the "System Wide Options," and this time, right below "hide icons," you choose the "Mobile Substrate Addons."

In here you'll see a list of all the mobile substrate tweaks that are running on your device, which is basically the majority of your cydia tweaks. You can toggle them on/off here and respring to see the effects.

Hope that helps.

19. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

If you disable mobile substrate addons make sure you go back and enable them before uninstalling via cydia. That used to be the rule and I assume it still is since I dont remember reading anything to the contrary.

20. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Thanks! Just curious will this work with the stupid bookshelf and stocks icons? As thats mainly the ones i want to hide.

21. Che Castro macrumors 603

How do i get the date on the statusbar without sbsettings ?

I wanna dump sbsettings but need that

22. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You can use springtomize (if you have it) to get the date or free ram in the status bar. As far as freeing up ram, it's not ideal but I use Remove Background and set an activator action to clear the multitasking tray and kill their processes. I dont use it often but it's a workaround.

23. rjcollins macrumors newbie

Another killer feature in sbsettings is that you can use it from the lock screen, or have I missed something in ncsettings?

Richard

24. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yea that's right. I never realized that because I use lockinfo which allows me to use any notification center addon from the lock screen. So I have ncsettings on my lock screen.

25. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yup - and you can also use Springtomize to hide icons (someone asked about this a few posts up).