Are screen protectors necessary for iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by andrewtm, Oct 19, 2014.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I absolutely hate screen protectors but I've read that the iPhone 6 screen scratches much easier than the iPhone 4/5.

I've never used a screen protector on my iPhone 5 and I wasn't on planning on using them on the 6 until I saw people complaining the screen scratches much easier. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765?start=0&tstart=0)

What are your experiences?

2. batmanners macrumors member

I've actually heard the opposite, that this screen is the most resilient one yet. I personally like to use screen protectors because if it gets damaged, I can just peel it off and get a new one.

I've been keeping on the "screen protector" that came with it (AKA the packaging). I just cut off the bottom so I can use the Touch ID until my screen protector comes. I haven't seen any scratches on that portion of the front, but I don't know what the experience is with the whole front screen.

This is the protector I ordered. It's supposed to go over the curved edges and I've heard/seen nothing but good things about it so far. Hope this helps.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-6-skins

3. RipGroove macrumors member

Fit a tempered glass protector, feels exactly like the original glass screen

4. jayinla macrumors regular

I'm like you and hate screen protectors but noticed my 4 week old iPhone 6 had a pretty nice hairline scratch which I never had in any of my last iPhones the past several years. I bought a Zagg glass screen protector and while it's not my favorite, at least I feel confident I won't makes things worse.

5. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

Never used a screen protector or a case on my previous 4S. Had it for 2-3 years, used it very cautiously until the last few months I had a big scratch on my screen, and accidentally dropped the phone on it's back on cement floor and shattered the back glass. I find no matter how cautious you are, there are just moments when the phone wants to obey the laws of gravity and drop on the ground. So when I got my 6 Plus, I got the Apple leather case, a wallet style case, and have a ZAGG glass on it.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I don't buy that the 6 scratches any easier than earlier iPhones. But you can scratch the screen with sand or rocks of sorts, and so it's not immune. Still, I'm running without a protector. I simply hate using them and while I'd get a glass one if I did use one, they still don't look great and they make the phone thicker.

7. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

No way I'm putting anything on mine it feels way better without any protection...

8. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

There have been just so many instances where I've read people wish they got protectors because of hairline scratches and what not. I'm just not sure what to believe

I don't see why Apple would've made the screens less durable for the newest phone

9. Jazper macrumors 6502a

As one who has one of those hairline scratches, I recommend a screen protector - I'm very careful with my devices.

10. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Do you feel this iPhone scratches easier than the 5?

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I didn't use them on my 4S and haven't used them on my launch day iPhone 6. Still not scratches.

12. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'm waiting for someone to release a glass screen protector that actually covers all of the screen instead of most of the garbage that's a little bit too narrow. I'm not talking about the curved edges, but just one that covers ALL of the black area (on the white phone).

13. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. Maybe there was just a large batch of bad phones that went out. There have been so many complaints.

14. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

And most of them do. It just takes a precise install. My ZAGG covers all of the black area

15. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Is that on a 6, or 6+? From what I've been reading it seems like the ZAGG for the 6+ has a better fit.

16. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

Yeah I have the Plus

17. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

definitley scratches easier, this is the only iPhone that I've managed to scratch while carefully cleaning off the screen to put a screen protector on.

18. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

+1. I have one that cost less than 5 bucks and it looks and feels like the original glass.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think most of the good manufactures have that issue solved in their 2nd revisions, most had no clue and guessed on the first release so they would have them on launch day

I orded a Tech Armor it was actually an alright fit but when I installed it I had a wierd cirlce mark, not an air bubble it would not move if I touched it

sent a pic to Tech Armor and they said no problem we will send a replacment but the 6 model is currently on backorder because they are redesign it, they said the new redesign will start to ship this week, I can report back with pics

20. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to order one from Amazon once I can confirm they're shipping out the newer versions (might be that long before my 6 gets here anyway damn T-Mobile). I just don't want to get stuck with a junk one, and don't really want to order direct from the manufacturer since Amazon is usually so much cheaper, and I have Prime.

Unless anyone can recommend a good one along with a coupon code or something...

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

mine was originally purchased though Amazon but I took my complaint direct to Tech Armor and they asked for the Amazon order number and they said no problem we will ship a replacment

22. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Is this the one you got? http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Protector-Tech-Armor-Premium/dp/B00EL94RQE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413913109&sr=8-2&keywords=tech+armor+iphone+6+screen+protector
    Does it still have the huge cutout at the top? In the Q & A section someone from Tech Armor replied that they were working on releasing one with more precise cutouts. I'd like to get that one if it's released.

23. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes thats the one I got originally, I hve not recieved the replacement yet but your right that is one thing they said they were working on

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

See every other screen protector thread. It's not about the device. It's about how much risk you're willing to take. Any screen can be scratched regardless of the anecdotal evidence presented one way or another.