Are Screen Protectors Necessary For the iPhone XS Max

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MichaelMidnight, Sep 22, 2018.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I have Applecare but I still worry about accidental drops and knicks. Should I opt for a screen protect or is it strong enough?

2. XtotheMAX macrumors member

You should get a screen protector. Even though the glass on the new iPhones are more resistant to drops, they seem to scratch more easily.

3. FloridaGary macrumors regular

I was considering a screen protector but most of them create a raised lip when you flip up from the bottom of the screen.

4. Juanefny macrumors 6502

I had a scratch on my iPhone X. I made sure to get a protector for my XS

5. chanerz macrumors 65816

Not necessarily. My Xs has a privacy screen from Zaag. Fits well and no more nosy people.

6. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Normally I would say don’t but my X got a hairline scratch just from my jeans pocket. Put on a FULL 3D tempered screen protector and never looked back.

7. FloridaGary macrumors regular

Until I hear that is a common problem amongst many xs owners, I’m not convinced a screen protector is needed. Never needed one going back to iPhone 4.

8. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

How do you deal with using the phone in landscape mode? A privacy screen basically means it can only be used in portrait mode. How do you get around this? I had thought about it for my iPad to keep prying eyes off my phone on the plane.

9. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

It’s not a scratch on the glass itself but the oleophobic coating so it’s quite common.

10. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Raises hand. Same thing happened on my X. I ordered a full 3D the next day. That’s key. It should have black bars on the side and merge over the sides. Having a cheap sticker or a bump on the front would drive the OCD in me INSANE.

11. thecore762 macrumors 6502

I always rock a screen protector, my 7 plus screen protector took so many scratches over the years, after replacing the protector everything appeared fine.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

100% is go with a protector. Over time all phones get a lot of little scratches and nicks.

Also you might never drop a phone but one day it can happen and replacing a screen for $350 or more is a lot worse than replacing a $5 screen protector.

In the past protectors made the screen feel rubbery or had cut outs that made it obvious you got a protector on. They also cost $40 in some cases. It was genuinely a trade off between having a good experience and saving money and safety.

No more! Today there’s edge to edge glass protectors that you won’t even know you’re using one and won’t even see it in day to day usage. And they’re like $5 to $10. So there’s really no reason not to.

13. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Last year I stopped using screen protectors. The screen feels better without one. I also stopped caring about small microabraisions. I think the screen protector makes the phone look worse than the small abrasions that are only visible when the screen is off. To each their own.

14. Eduardmc macrumors member

Just get a 3d edge to edge protection. It looks like u dont have a tempered glass at all

Attached Files:

15. FloridaGary macrumors regular

Thanks for clarifying.

16. FloridaGary macrumors regular

Are you referring to Rhinoshield 3D?

17. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Have Anil to that?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2018 ---

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is no right or wrong answer. It is a personal choice for each person.

19. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Yoda has spoken, he has. Cover up you must do or do not, decide one must.

20. cardfan macrumors 68000

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I’m debating getting one. I’ve used one on my 6+, 6s+, and 8+. They break and spider easily. They reflect a lot more than the glass under. And after months of use they can become brittle from swiping motions, almost rubbery.

I just got my Xs Max. I’m tempted and yet undecided. I love this screen and want to keep this phone for years. That said I hate additional reflection. I haven’t had problems with screen scratches. I do have AppleCare+. :/

22. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I haven’t had that experience at all and I’ve used tempered glass protectors since the iPhone 6, such as them being brittle or rubbery.

Yeah when the oleophobic comes off over time they aren’t as buttery smooth anymore... which also happens to unprotected glass.

Anyway changing a $5 protector every 3-5 months to have a fresh feeling is still not expensive for the protection.

As far as the glass spidering and cracking, well if it happens to your protector it typically means it just saved your real screen from getting that kind of damage, which is exactly why you want to use one to begin with.

23. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Which one do you have?

24. Chevyguy2021 macrumors regular

They are $8. They have saved my ass. I will never have a phone without one. Ever. So yes, get one

25. prithvi64 macrumors member

I have been using screen protector right from day 1 since last 10 yrs on every phone I buy.