Are Screen Protectors Necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hrothgar, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find a thread on it.

I just bought a Zagg Invisisheild Dry and did a terrible job putting it on. As I was googling whether I could take it off and try again, I came across a number of articles arguing that the Gorilla glass for iPhones 5 and up are are sufficiently scratch resistant that these screen protectors are no longer necessary.

I'd love to avoid spending another $30 on a piece of saran wrap that's going to look terrible on my phone.

What's the common consensus?

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

If you can live with fine micro scratches that will only be visible in direct light, then sure you don't need one. If this is something that would bug you, then get one as there's no way in hell you'll keep the screen flawless without one.

3. kovey macrumors 6502a

If you don't want scratches on your screen, then yes.

Anybody that tells you that they've never used a screen protector and their phone has no scratches is full of it. They're the same people that sell their things on ebay as looking brand new, yet looks like garbage to anybody else.

4. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I'm fairly particular about my devices and I ran my 4S for three years without one. Yes, there are "micro scratches" on the screen (I guess?) if you really look hard, but they never stuck out enough for me to notice or care. I don't flip devices every year and I'm not obsessed with keeping it 120% pristine (it's a phone, not a Ferrari).

A lot depends on how hard you are on the phone though. I NEVER put anything else in the same pocket with mine, and I'm careful not to put it face down on anything that isn't clean or smooth.

My wife's phone on the other hand, gets a screen protector applied from day one. She's not exactly gentle with hers. lol

5. MrXiro, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Those "micro scratches" are most likely on the oleophobic coating rather than being scratches in the actual glass itself.

If you pick up some more coating you'll probably be able to buffer out the micro scratches.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682

I generally don't use screen protectors but I do use full body protectors to protect the metal back of my phones.

6. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I've never used one in the 7 years since the iPhone was introduced. I keep my phones two years minimum, and the screens are flawless. They live in my pants pocket with keys, pens, pencils, and change. I get top dollar for my phones from Gazelle, and they've even upped their quoted payments because of the quality. I can't imagine a probable instance where something could scratch the screen and not shatter the glass unless your pockets are full of sand and diamonds.

7. -ultimac- macrumors newbie

screen protector will eliminate micro-scratch which makes glass weaker and crack much more easily.

Micro scratch can amplify stress by concentration stress at one point.

imagine a notch on a piece of paper, you need very little force compare to un notch one.

8. MaximoMark79 macrumors newbie

What nonsense!

9. sleepyking macrumors 6502

LOL this is probably true.
    I've also wondered when people say flawless, if it's really flawless. As in hold it against the light in all angles and see not one micro scratch. Yes this might be obsessive but it matters to some people

10. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I dropped my 1 year old iPhone 5 and the screen shattered. Luckily I had a screen protector (not glass) that held everything in place. It was kind of hard to read but I had a working phone for three weeks while waiting for my 5s.

I will always use a protector.

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I think skins are helpful for the back side. the backs of the plastic and metal iPhones get scratched and the 6 looks like it will too. I used to protect the screen in my iPhone and iPad but I don't anymore. I do use cases.

12. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Have never used a protector on any cell phone or iPad I've ever had. And yet, somehow, I had a Zagg Invisible Shield installed on my iPhone 6 yesterday. Still not sure why, just felt it needed it and am happy with it.

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I am on my fourth iPhone.

My wife is on her second iPhone.

My two sons are on their second iPhones.

None of these devices ever had screen protection, none of these devices ever had a scratch. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, unless you have pockets full of keys and rocks you will never have a screen scratch.

Putting protection on your screen merely lessons your experience and only serves to make your phone ready for its next owner. When you drive your car, you don't worry about the future owner you just enjoy yourself, same thing here.

BJ

14. munakib macrumors 6502

Just installed the Tampered Glass from Zagg on my iPhone6Plus (approx $50 with installation at the kiosk). I am an OCD sort of person, even the slightest scratch would annoy me and make me hate myself for not preventing it if the option was there. So if you are the type where small scratches wont matter and never look back, go naked.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

For me it comes down to this, what will bother me more, a few micro-scratches that I may only see in certain lighting conditions from certain angles, or a sheet of plastic or glass that I can always see, changes the experience of my viewing the screen, and can possibly change the tactile sensitivity of the phone? Definitely the latter.

And I know there are some very thin screens that may not affect my viewing or using the phone, but I have to pay extra for the screen, then apply it and hope I didn't trap any air bubbles or dirt, and even if I do it all perfectly, it still adds lines to the phone that I can see and ruin the aesthetic of the device.

Check out some of the photos in the case threads, a lot of those phones have protectors on and they jump out at me as being so out of place.

I think a more elegant solution would be a case with a front flap.

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ive always been on the fence about them, but for the price, its cheap insurance.

i had a MobC screen protector on my iphone 5S to keep the screen mint for resale. it definitely paid off for me. one day i laid my phone face down (by accident) on the wood bench in the locker room at work. unbeknownst to me, i had also laid it down on a small piece of dirt or rock. i went to move the phone over, and slid it across the bench. thats when i heard and felt the rock drag across the screen. i immediately realized it wasnt face up and flipped it over. there was a light 2 inch scrach across the screen protector where the sharp piece of rock sliced it. luckily, the screen protector took the hit. it definitely wouldve scratched the glass up. so now, i always use one.