Are Seagate Loosing it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwelmarten, Jun 23, 2012.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    So, I've being looking at buying some HDD's for a RAID array (2 drives that are the same as each other, to prevent data loss if one fails).
    I keep reading over the forums etc that Seagate have reduced their warranties on internal hard drives to 1 year. Not being able to find info on their website, and seeing a mix of information on the web (since the change is quite new) I'm not sure if this is correct.

If they have, would this imply they are 'loosing' it a bit? That the quality of their products is going down the drain a little? Do you think I'll be ok with Seagate, or should I go for one of the other options I have thought about?

I was going to buy 2 of these (click here).

Thanks for your thoughts and comments,

Sam

2. Code001 macrumors member

IMO, all of these post-flood drives are gambles. Samsung is Seagate, so they're one in the same now. WD seems to be having lots of problems, and Hitachi can be hit or miss. I bought four of the exact drives you showed, and they're currently in a RAID 5 setup. They arrived safely, and I haven't had any issues at all so far. Regardless, I got a 3 year extended warranty on them to help protect my investment.