Are sharp edges a problem for anyone else with MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by koigirl, Jul 26, 2012.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

So my husband just got his first Mac, a 13" MBA that he's enamored with, and I've been thinking all summer I'd upgrade to one myself come NC Tax-free Weekend and let my daughter use my 2011 MBP for schoolwork. I was playing around on his MBA today and noticed that the MBA's sharp edges really cut into my wrists and thighs when I lap surf, which is one of my primary ways to handle my MBP. And no, I'm not heavy but rather thin. Is this a problem for anyone else and/or does anyone have a solution. My husband uses his mostly sitting at a table or desk so it's never been an issue for him. I also noticed his display seems a little washed out, probably an LG screen that needs calibrating.:D. Of course he doesn't know the difference....

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Ditto on the wrist while my MBA11 or MBA13 are on my lap. Was looking at SurfacePad from TwelveSouth to address.

3. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Yes, I googled this and didn't see much about this problem with MBA, more so on MBP. Interesting because I've used MBP's since the first generation and never experienced this issue. It makes me wonder if I should reconsider MBA and wait for rMBP 13" in September. Maybe I just need to readjust my lap surfing position!:)

Anyone else with suggestions for other products to address the sharp wrist edge?

4. MacLappy macrumors regular

Strangely, I use to have the same problem, except that it was on the unibody macbook. It does not seem to occur for me on the air. Actually was one of the huge plus points I noticed upon first switching to the air. Different strokes for different folks I guess. One of the ways that you can prevent it from cutting into the thighs would be to place a used magazine under the macbook air, hopefully with the slight elevation it helps the wrists out too! :D

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I went through three MacBook airs last year when the 2011 came out. And I noticed the sharpness of the edges varied between them. The first one had some sharpness but didn't bother me, the second was the worst, felt like razor blades, the third one and the one I kept was completely smooth, it feels great. I don't know if they would allow you to feel the MacBook before buying it, but if you do end up with a sharp one, you can always get a snap on case to cover the sharp edges.