Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Is downloading 3rd party shortcuts safe? I mean is it possible someone makes a simple shortcut that works but has hidden code inside which sends him sensitive data without the user knowing? Or something of this nature? I know you might have to give access but sometimes we just press "OK" to security or other prompts! What do you think?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Always take a look at how the shortcut was made to see if anything malicious is embedded before you run it.

"sometimes we just press "OK" to security or other prompts!"

Don't do this then! :) If you agree to things without knowing what they are doing then you could find yourself at risk. I know we all done read the pages and pages of Apple T&C's but for a simple shortcut made by an unknown individual you got from a stranger on the net, you should read what it does.

Reactions: AntonisCy

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Always take a look at how the shortcut was made to see if anything malicious is embedded before you run it.

"sometimes we just press "OK" to security or other prompts!"

Don't do this then! :) If you agree to things without knowing what they are doing then you could find yourself at risk. I know we all done read the pages and pages of Apple T&C's but for a simple shortcut made by an unknown individual you got from a stranger on the net, you should read what it does.

I agree with this.

Most Shortcuts actions are innocuous but it is possible, say, for a Shortcut to text everyone in your contacts automatically. With JavaScript and url-callback, even more is possible. Always review any Shortcut you didn’t create before adding to your library.

Reactions: AntonisCy

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
If something is going to be useful, there’s the potential for it to be abused. If you’re not comfortable at least reviewing the steps in a shortcut to get a gist of what is going on, don’t download them. (Downloading the ones from the gallery in the Shortcuts app is probably okay since those are curated by Apple, but not from random sites)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.