Are slider cases *really* that tough to remove?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by stickybuns, Oct 26, 2011.

1. stickybuns macrumors 6502

I've seen posts here-and-there stating that the poster's iPhone had become stuck inside of a slider case and how it was impossible to remove the case without destroying it and/or the iPhone. Given the popularity of slider cases, do people just never bother removing the iPhone from the case or is it just not *that* common a problem? (I'm contemplating a custom Uncommon Capsule case).

2. lazybee macrumors member

I've had slider cases for both my iPhones and iTouches. I find them great except when the time comes to take them off. Yes, it does often become a challenge to remove them! It will mainly depend on the exact model of case, but they do often take some struggling to get off properly. If you take it slow and are careful you can get the device out with no issues. I've never had any broken devices due to a case so far, and I don't intend on it.

3. wellok macrumors 6502

I think some of it is people who use screen and/or back protectors. That tiny additional thickness can cause severe problems with removal. I know incase in particular has issues with this.

4. stickybuns thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! My shiny new iPhone 4s in white is set to be delivered on 10/28, so I'm hoping to come to a case decision before the phone arrives. I've got an Otterbox Defender on my iPod Touch; it's a nice case, but pretty utilitarian.

Right now, I'm between an Incipio NGP in Translucent Turquoise (I'm assuming that when they're back in stock on Amazon, the issue with the mute button opening being in the wrong place will have been resolved) and the Uncommon Capsule.

5. STC macrumors 6502a

Ive had slider cases w/ all my previous iPhones which had front screen protectors. Never had any issues. Not the same w/ the iPhone 4S though. I have front and back protectors and I can not find one that fits nicely.

I've tried the Incase Slider, Incipio Edge, Griffen something or other, and 1 other I can not remember now.

Actually the only hard case Ive liked so far for the 4S was the Speck Candyshell.

6. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

They are annoying to look at.

But that is subjective.

7. rymawh macrumors newbie

The first case I bought for my old 3GS was an Incase Slider. I will never again buy one of their products. Perhaps I got a bad egg, but after using the case for about two days, it was practically impossible to get back off. In the end the only way I could get the damn thing to come off was to push the headphone jack with a pen, to force the phone out of the case.

Before I did all this, I contacted Incase about the problem, and never got a reply. Not even after the fourth email. So IMO, don't get one of those, but that opinion is highly biased I'll admit.

8. stickybuns thread starter macrumors 6502

The Candyshell *does* look nice.

Dang.... I thought that I had gotten my list narrowed down!

9. stickybuns thread starter macrumors 6502

Squee!!! I got a shipping notice!!! Package due at 3pm tomorrow!!!!

I guess I should swing by Target or Best Buy to see what they have in stock.

10. wellok macrumors 6502

Congrats! Best Buy will have a much broader selection. My Target has very few that fit the 4S. Best Buy doesn't have many that specifically mention the 4S, but plenty that mention fitting both versions of the 4 or the Verizon version of the 4, so you're set.

11. stickybuns thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked out the cases at Best Buy last week, but everything they had was marked as being for the iPhone4, and I wasn't sure if that meant compatible with the AT&T version, the Verizon version, or both. Are there any major differences besides the position of the mute button opening? I suppose I could get a simple silicon case and cut a bigger hole if needed.