Are staingate repairs permanent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waxonwaxoff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. waxonwaxoff macrumors newbie

Hey quick Q for the more knowledgable or just plain unlucky of you out there.

I just read about the staingate issue some of you have been dealing with. I am thinking of upgrading from my 2012 non rmbp to the latest 2015 rmbp and have a few questions regarding the experiences some of you have probably had.

1. Do the new rmbp have this issue, or was it something that was fixed on new models being sold now but still plaguing those of you with models a year or two old?
    2. Do any of you know if the repairs Apple does are permanent or if they are still using the same anti glare coating so the issue is going to come up again, and again, and again.....
    3. Lastly those of you that have been hit by this issue would it deter you from buying a MacBook again or would you have bought the MacBook in the first place if you knew you were going to have to deal with this issue?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This issue has been blown way out of proportion, and on top of that Apple is addressing it by replacing the screens on affected computers.

3. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

This issue has not been blown out of proportion.

Screens that have been repaired by Apple lately have shown the same stains for several people over in the biggest Facebook group.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple has sold millions of rMBPs. How many have been reported with AR screen issues?

Neither one of us have those numbers so I guess we both have to disagree.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple has been shipping an average of over 5 million computers per quarter. That means 20 million per years.

Most of those in the last few years are laptops, and most of those laptops are retinas.

Retinas came out in 2012. So from 2012 to today, we've had about 14 or 15 quarters. Let's make it 14. 14 * 5 million = 70 million computers.

Let us assume 50% of those are retinas (which probably isn't too far off from the truth).

That leaves us with 35 million computers.

The amount of people that have complained via staingate: 4841 people. Lets us assume the number of affected machines is double that.

4841*2/35000000=0.0277% of all retinas out there.

I wouldn't call it widespread. I definitely WOULD call it blown out of proportion.

I work in a manufacturing environment as an engineer. If I got that low of a defect rate, I'd be more than happy.

6. CE3, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

CE3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's probably not a widespread issue, but even if it only affects 9700 computers, they shouldn't be happy with those numbers. Those customers gave Apple millions of dollars for premium products, and if bowing things out of proportion helped lead Apple to agreeing to replace them, I'm all for it.