Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is a student seen as smarter if they use more punctionation?

• Yes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Are students seen as not as smart if they use shorter sentences, therefore, eliminating the need to much punctuation?

Are students seen as smarter if they use commas, semi colons instead of writing shorter sentences?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Are students seen as not as smart if they use shorter sentences, therefore, eliminating the need to much punctionation?

Are students seen as smarter if they use commas, semi colons instead of writing shorter sentences?

They might be seen as not as smart if they shorten their sentences by leaving out words like "use" or "and" when they're appropriate.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
what the hell is "punctionation?"

these threads are worse than mine.

edit: nice ninja edit

edit 2: learn some "punctuation" in your sentence ... "commas, semicolons [sic]."

:facepalm:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
They might be seen as not as smart if they shorten their sentences by leaving out words like "use" or "and" when they're appropriate.

And transition words such as, therefore, however ?

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
It depends. Gratuitously long sentences never did anyone any good, however too short and simplistic sentences can make it harder to convey an elaborate point without coming across as talking down to your reader. I'd say good texts generally combine both long and short sentences to keep the writing interesting. In short, mix it up! ;)

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
what the hell is "punctionation?"

edit: nice ninja edit

edit 2: learn some "punctuation" in your sentence ... "commas, semicolons [sic]."

:facepalm:

Should be punctuation ,but I cannot change the poll.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I've seen a lot of student submissions for assignments. The short answer is, yes. The long answer is holy crap yes. For forums or texting no. But if you are emailing your professor it would be a good idea to at least spell check.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

quote of the year.

And no, students are not "smarter" because they use more punctuation. In fact, that probably means you have run-on sentences, and would be better off breaking them up. You don't look smarter by having a one run-on sentence paragraph.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
poorly written sentences will always make you look bad no matter how much "punctionation" you use

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Another Waloshin thread

Attachments

• I looked like Jonny Depp.png
    I looked like Jonny Depp.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 50

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I would say that, while writing in a style which features long sentences isn't inherently difficult, it does have the effect of looking more sophisticated, hereby increasing the perceived level of english of the person, or in the case of a native speaker, its perceived level of intelligence; in no case, however, does it show any correlation since all one needs to write in such a style is some time, and to use it efficiently.

TL;DR: not in college. ;)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I think a series of short to moderately long sentences that can convey a complicated idea succinctly is ideal. Just because the sentence is short does not mean the vocabulary used needs to be limited. It is the combination of short sentences with an unsophisticated vocabulary that I believe conveys this sense of "un-smart" in today's students.

waloshin - - acidfast7

Too early to tell.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I think you should review your posts before you post them so you can correct your spelling and other mistakes.
;) Just a thought...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
You'll seem smarter if the things you say make sense, and you use punctuation appropriately.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have multiple arguments from people when they ask me to review their papers and first complaint I had was it had to much cap fluf words. There is a time and place for fluf but not in research or technical documents. Those are to the point and use that style of writing.
Emails fall under the technical writing format and when I read some fluffy fill emails it really felt like the person was trying to cover something.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I remember having some old school "by the book" professor - bow-tie and all - freshman year. He said something along the lines of "Smart people talk about ideas, intelligent people explain their ideas in such a way that anyone can understand them."

I always kept that in mind when writing, whether it was a one pager or a 35 page paper. I must admit, it did sometimes make meeting page requirements difficult at first, but I found out that if your paper has 10 pages of substance in an 8 page paper, professors didn't mind (except one strict formatting freak I had, but at least he knew his standards so he kept page limits lower).

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I don't care how much punctuation you use. I care if I can understand your writing.

A secondary benefit is enjoying reading it and not cringing at stupid mistakes, punctuation, or otherwise annoying stylistic quirks.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If you want to come off as not dumb to your professors, simply write properly punctuated and grammatically correct [insert language that you're trying to communicate in here].

Incidentally, I've never heard of the verb "to much."

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
It is his latest refrain in wacky threads. I think he finds it clever.

When a forum full of people discusses the benefits of a Keurig, discussion of the finer culinary points is not appropriate.

----------

To contribute directly to the narrative of the thread:

A positive correlation exists between judicious punctuation usage and perceived intellect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.