Are subtle pinstripes okay for a job interview!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by matthew6, May 27, 2011.

1. matthew6, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

matthew6 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have been doing a lot of researching and am finding many mixed opinions when using search engines. I am on MacRumors a lot and am aware of the number of professionals that browse this site, so I thought I would ask for your input!

I am going to be a college senior and will soon be applying for jobs and setting up interviews (in law enforcement).

There is a Tommy Hilfiger suit at Macy's that I really like and is at a price level I can afford. I really like the design and style of the suit. (*NOTE: I did not make this post for you to criticize my choice of spending only $300 on a suit nor the designer of the suit. I am aware that this is a less expensive suit and might not be the best quality, but it what I can afford!*)

The suit is dark charcoal, which is very appropriate for job interviews, but it also has grayish pinstripes. Are subtle pinstripes (like the ones on the suit I am interested in) okay for a job interview? Are pinstripes considered conservative enough for a job interview? Or would you suggest only solid suits? What do you think? For you people who hire potential employees, do things like pinstripes stand out or matter to you? I would wear a white dress shirt with a conservative solid color tie with the suit. Just as a note, I would not be wearing the vest.

Here is a link to the suit:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...OR=Gray&SUIT_STYLE=Suit Separates&sp=1&spc=10

Thanks for your help!

2. 184550, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011

184550 Guest

I've worn the almost exact same pattern (charcoal with subtle light blue and tan pinstripes) to several job interviews at various Universities and have always received compliments on my appearance/ the suit. (It probably didn't hurt that I bought a tie that matched/ had the Universities colors. :p )

However, a suit would also depend on the size/ location of Department. In major cities/ Federal Gov't/ urban area a suit would be fine.

If it's in a smaller/ more rural location, a suit might be too much and business casual might be more appropriate.

3. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That suit looks great. To wear to a job interview, I couldn't fault it. Good choice.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The only place I'd avoid pinstripes is entry level finance.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

A conservative interviewer probably won't appreciate pinstripes. Whatever you do, don't buy the vest.

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

That suit would be excellent.

Anyone who seriously has it set in their mind that you are a crap employee because, god forbid, you have PINSTRIPES (!!!!!) on your suit, is seriously less self-important than they realize, and not someone I'd want to work for, personally.

Also, there is nothing wrong with peak lapels. I got my both of my jobs in Japan with a pinstriped, peak lapel suit, and if you know Japan, you know it's the textbook epitome of business dress conservatism.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, the vest is probably a bit much for a job interview. The rest of the suit is appropriate for an interview, and looks great in the photo.....hopefully it looks as nice in person.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't see why not. I think it'll be fine for what you're going in for.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Given the choice of career you've outlined that suit would be fine for the interview. And I'm not judging your choice of suit, but for around the same price you could get a bespoke suit from indochino.com.

(edit: In my line of work nobody ever shows up for an interview in a suit, so I've never based a hiring decision on pinstripes; but I firmly believe that how well someone wears something and presents themselves is far more important than what they wear)

12. matthew6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input everybody!

I guess I just wanted to make sure that the suit is still "conservative" enough for a job interview.