Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I no longer get suggested apps on the lower left of lock screen or the bottom of the app switcher when:

1. I have a Bluetooth audio source (speakers, headphones, etc.) or
2. Am near a business (Starbucks, Target, 7-11, Costco, etc.)

Was this proactive feature really removed?

If so, that's a bummer, I thought it was pretty convenient and worked well.

The Siri Suggestions widget is on now. I now get suggested apps on the lock screen bottom left when turning on my Bluetooth headphones, and it even wakes the screen like before!

I will report back regarding location based suggestions (Starbucks, Costco, 7-11, etc.)

Edit #2: Last night I got Apple TV app suggestion in the bottom left -> spot on! works better than ever! It looks like the Siri Suggested apps widget was the key.

I still haven't had a chance to try location based notifications (Starbucks, Costco, etc.) but I may be able to check that today. I will report back.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I no longer get suggested apps on the lower left of lock screen or the bottom of the app switcher when:

Seems like at least some of them are still there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-i-disable-suggested-apps-based-on-location.1994181/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-suggested-message-bar.1995478/

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
It doesn't work for me in 10.0.2 on 6s. I haven't seen any Proactive suggestions since updating to 10.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Are you using a dark/black wallpaper?

This happens in my iPhone, if the part where the icon shows is completely black or very dark it will not show up at all. I think it has to be something related to how the blend mode of the icon is set.

img_0049-png.659504

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Are you using a dark/black wallpaper?

This happens in my iPhone, if the part where the icon shows is completely black or very dark it will not show up at all. I think it has to be something related to how the blend mode of the icon is set.

img_0049-png.659504

That's a good suggestion, but I don't think that's it. I've been watching like a hawk. Next time we run some errands I'm going to check again. What settings should I be looking for? I think I know them all and I think they're all turned on. But I want to doublecheck.

CaptHook

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015

They are absolutely still there. In the morning on mine I see alternating Google Hangouts and Gmail. When I get in my truck it connects to Bluetooth and I see Apple Music.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
They are absolutely still there. In the morning on mine I see alternating Google Hangouts and Gmail. When I get in my truck it connects to Bluetooth and I see Apple Music.

Thanks for the information, but now I'm disheartened. Because basically mine is completely stopped working since I've gotten the new iPhone.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
If you disable and enable siri suggestions then the headphone connected suggestion works for some time but then stops working again. At least for me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No, I have all location services on under privacy.

Do I have to re-toggle location based suggestions. Would toggling it hurt anything?
I had an issue along the lines your having during the iOS 9 beta phase and one of the steps I did was a reset on all settings.

Settings > general > reset > reset all settings

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I had an issue along the lines your having during the iOS 9 beta phase and one of the steps I did was a reset on all settings.

Settings > general > reset > reset all settings

Thanks for the suggestion. What do I lose by doing this?

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Well, my suggested apps on lock screen and app switcher do not work.

Has anyone else done the reset all settings in iOS 10 to get this working. Has anyone figured out how to get this working?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
mine wasn't working for first few days with iphone7 restored from previous iphone's itunes backup.

here's what i did to get it working (not sure which step fixed it exactly):
1) settings.app > general > spotlight search > toggle siri suggestions (turn off, wait maybe 10-15 seconds, then turn back on).

2) settings.app> privacy > locations services > system services > toggle off/on location-based suggestions, location-based alerts, and frequent locations. i think it started working for me a few hours after i did this.

at worst, go to settings.app > general > reset location & privacy. i didn't need to do this for mine to work.

my guess is siri needs to know your location before it can suggest which apps to use and it didn't get the proper info from the backup for whatever reason.

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
I had it working with iPhone 6 and iOS 10.0.1. It showed suggestions "based on your location", "arriving home", "arriving work". I kinda liked it because for example clock wouldn't show up until I went upstairs to the bedroom where I usually set my alarm. Seems elevation is taken inmto account.

Got my iPhone 7 ten days ago (set up as new) and I updated to 10.1 beta and these suggestions are gone. Only the music app is suggested when I connect to my car's bluetooth, nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.