Are swollen batteries covered by UK Consumer Laws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by socceric, Jul 25, 2017.

1. socceric macrumors newbie

My late 2013 MacBook Pro has swollen battery. This cause issues to the trackpad and elsewhere. Anyone can advise if this is "normal" or this can be considered a defective good that doesn't conform the contract of sale? In other words, is Apple obliged (by the UK Consumers Laws) to replace the swelling battery for free?

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

So long as there's no damage to the laptop and you can honestly say you've used it as it was intended to be used, it should be covered. I see no valid argument from their side - the issue has been caused by one or more of; poor quality components, poor workmanship, poor QA, or a design flaw.

As far as I see it, this issue breaks the 'fit for purpose' quality standard, based on Apple's own definition of 'fit for purpose' - the 2013 MBP is not considered "obsolete" by Apple themselves, yet yours is being rendered unusable prematurely.

It goes without saying that when you visit the store, be polite and don't start throwing rights around! There's a chance they'll resolve it for you without the awkward rights discussion.