Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areyoushook

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Houston, Tx
I saw on ebay these things and was wondering if anyone has used them and if they are good?

upload_2016-10-28_16-4-11.png

Trogdor796

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
But...why? Isn't it sapphire just like the 6 and 6s? I assumed it was, and if it is then it shouldn't get scratched. I ran my 6+ without a case for over two years, always placing it on tables screen up, the camera never got scratched, though the housing around the outside got beat up a bit, nothing major though.

areyoushook

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Houston, Tx
But...why? Isn't it sapphire just like the 6 and 6s? I assumed it was, and if it is then it shouldn't get scratched. I ran my 6+ without a case for over two years, always placing it on tables screen up, the camera never got scratched, though the housing around the outside got beat up a bit, nothing major though.

i'm just worried because my dad broke his camera by just dropping it

Trogdor796

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
i'm just worried because my dad broke his camera by just dropping it
Ah, okay. I've never used one or known anyone that's used those, but I'm sure someone else here has some info. Though I don't think it would provide a lot of protection from drops.

I'm curious what others think.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I personally wouldn't get it, not only is it ugly, but I *think* the protector would interfere with the lens and worse optical quality

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

It may be hard to shatter but it does scratch. And now that the camera protrudes even more, I would consider putting one on my phone as well.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Since the additional glass sticks on the outside doesn't it make it more likely to catch light on the exposed edges and reflect it into the lens?

I would guess under most conditions it would be ok but there might be times when it causes a problem with light reflection.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
The lens cover is made out of sapphire. I never had a single scratch on lens since iPhone 5. Used my phones naked most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.