Are the 13 inch MBP likely to be upgraded soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MontrealMonger, Sep 23, 2010.

1. MontrealMonger macrumors member

I'm seriously contemplating downgrading from my 15-inch MBP to a 13-inch, but would likely hold off for the next upgrades if there's a chance they're coming by November or Dec. What do people here think, and is there a chance that the new models will have better processors than the old school C2D?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are already numerous threads about it.

13" is not likely to change processor until spring 2011.

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

I guess next March-April. Last spring Apple didn't want to "go through the trouble" of a motherboard design to accommodate the current core i-series chips in the 13 in so I bet they just skip this round all together and will finally update for the sandy bridge chips next spring.

4. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Its not that Apple didn't want to go through the trouble, but that Nvidia and Intel had a big argument and said that Nvidia couldn't put the core i processors in their chipsets because their agreement didn't include the core i processors. Thats why the 13" is still on Core 2 Duo with the 320M Nvidia GPU integrated which is much better than the Intel. On the 15" and 17" Apple put the the core i5/i7 and have the integrated Intel HD graphics and also a discrete Nvidia graphics.

And replying to the OP's post, according to the buyer's guide, the cycle is about halfway. I think they're not going to update til March or May. Sandy Bridge is looking like thats whats going on.