Are the 2013 iMacs Immune from Audio Stuttering?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jazz1, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Unfortunately a good number of Mac owners are suffering from audio skipping/stuttering. I know this is not news, and other models of Macs have the issue. However, I was wondering if the new ultra-thin iMac owners are having this problem or not?

2. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I've had no stuttering from mine at all even when under heavy load. When are people getting audio stuttering? I've not seen anything about it.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Where did you come across this "not news"? I've searched MR and Google but could not find any substantial number of discussions of this issue let alone indications of a trend warranting concern.

Anyway, I've owned 5 imacs (and 2 emacs) over the years, my newest is a 2012, and have never experienced audio stuttering on any of the models.

Ps. There is no 2013 iMac, the 2012 iMac is the latest generation.

4. jazz1, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks. I meant the latest greatest. So I did mean to refer to 2012 if that is the latest. The Apple Support forum has over 74 pages regarding ML 10.8.3. audio stuttering that people hoped would be fixed.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149309?start=1095&tstart=0

Check it out. I'm not alone on this.

There were earlier discussions that included earlier versions of ML and iTunes 11. But those earlier postings/threads have disappeared from the Apple Support forums.

All I know is that this started in September for me and many others in the forums complained about the same issue.

The sound disruption can be pretty subtle, sort of like a soft skip of the needle on vinyl, and sometimes is is more of a soft crackle. My HD-650 headphones or B&W MM! external speakers pulling off off optical and USB let me hear these skips/stuttering every 5-10 minutes on both purchased and ripped ACC and AIFF files. No sound issues with the internal speakers that I can tell. But the internal speakers may not be good enough to pick up subtle hiccups.

But once you hear it you just kind of wait for it to happen again....there it goes again as I'm typing.

I'm not trolling. I've owned Apple products since the //+ and the first Mac, a multitude of Apple laptops and finally three year old iMac.

5. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

There is very little there ( after going through about 6-7 pages of stuff) that indicates a common root cause. There are likely multiple issues folks are having and it isn't some one property present in some specific Mac model(s). Reports of the same symptoms in one place doesn't necessarily mean they all have the same cause.

Frankly there are reports of fixes ( magic reboot incantations , 10.8.3 solving the problem , etc.) as well as problems there. The size of the thread seems to be more indicative that any audio stuttering problem is now being "dumped" there. It is active enough on the forums that is the next place people add to.

It starts off shortly after 10.8 released and is just the place where 10.8 audio problems go now is a bigger driver of why it is 75 pages long.

6. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

I agree that there is very little to go on regarding a commonality that would lead to a solution. But it is no unicorn ;) The problem exists.

7. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

If it is not a unicorn ( uni -- one) then it can't be 'the' problem. Problems exist. But problems always exist. All new machines come with new quirks. Some get fixed in a couple of months. But even older machines also expose problems.

8. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Well you've got that right. I put 10.6.8 with iTunes11 on an external drive. Using my music library I am hearing no audio issues whatsoever after 45 minutes of listening. So I think it is fair to suggest my "older" iMac is having problems with Mountain Lion.

I'll be working with Apple tonight to see what they recommend. I'm not going to revert to a non-ML OS for the long term. I wonder if Apple will say that they only support the original OS which was 10.6.2 when I got my machine?

9. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

On my high end Mac Pro at work the stuttering drives me nuts. It doesn't happen very often (maybe 2-3 times/day), but enough to be bothersome. I also had the problem on a Mini I was using for a bit. Both of these were running 10.8.x. I'd never heard it before 10.8 on either of those computers.

On my gorgeous late 2012 iMac (loving it since mid-December) I haven't yet heard a stutter. I hope I never do.

I can't promise you won't have it, but at least I don't. :)