Are the aluminum Imacs reliable??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Whackintosh, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Reading the forums, it seems like all of them develop major problems within a year. Logic boards, video cards, screens etc. I don't see the same volume of disaster threads coming about around the mini, let alone any of the Macbooks. What gives?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's a help forum. You're only going to see problems.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I've had my 24" Al iMac since November 2007 and had nary a problem.

If you read the forums enough, you will see more than your fair share of "disaster" threads on pretty much any product, because people rarely post about machines that have no problems.

Consider the millions of iMacs sold by Apple worldwide in the past two years and the number of "disaster" threads you've read and you'll quickly realize that the problems affect a very small, very vocal minority.

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

The thing that is reliable is the care and service you'll get when buying a computer from Apple. I had a small fan issue with my refurbed iMac, and they were prompt to attempt a fix, and then replace the machine. So, the reliability can be found both in the product and in those selling/servicing it.

5. genmic macrumors regular

Well nobody seems to be able to answer your question, so I'll just state that I think it's logical to assume that since iMacs' house both a display and computer, more things can go wrong than with say a Mac Mini.

See this lawsuit regarding iMac display problems
    http://cultofmac.com/class-action-lawsuit-over-imac-display-problems/6562

Don't try and extract statistics for defective machines from these forums as there just isn't enough information to make any claim. Anybody who tells you that for everyone person that has a problem there is 1,000 happy customers, or that people with issues are in the minority, is just being optimistic. The reality is no one knows for certain, and one could easily make the claim every problem you see on this forum is likely found in 1,000 other machines. Don't buy into the hype that Apple hardware is unfailing reliable, and all the "problem people" just happen to flock and post in these forums.

If you want something that is less likely to have issues I would say go for a Mini, as you'll never have to worry about a faulty display ruining an entire computer. If you want a sleek all-in-one, go for an iMac :D

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i personally know many people who went for the iMac last year and so far... none of them have had any problems. Now obviously you shouldn't leave your display on (on ANY COMPUTER) 24/7 but all of the iMacs i have used have been very reliable and i would readily use one w/o a backup! :p

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I think I answered the question quite directly. The OP asked if all iMacs develop major problems within a year. The answer, quite simply, is no. The opposite, in fact, is true. Most iMacs are reliable machines, free from defects (both major and minor), with life spans far exceeding one year.

Now, if the OP wants a less-capable machine and doesn't mind buying (or already has) a keyboard, mouse and monitor, go for the Mini.

8. shinchan72 macrumors member

This.

Am typing this on the first gen Alum Imac with ATI 2600 video. We've had zero problems with it and going on year two soon. Before that a white Imac with zero problems.

Not saying there's zero problems , just no more than anything else I've had.

9. genmic macrumors regular

He never asks if all iMacs develop major problems within a year. He states it seems they do, and asks "What gives?" only in reference to the lack of "disaster threads" surrounding other Apple computers. Wouldn't you agree he wants to know what accounts for this disproportion? No one addressed that in any of their replies so I thought I would.

Not that it matters, as it wasn't my question, so I don't know if you gave the answer he was truly looking for. If I was looking into buying an iMac, I would probably be comforted by your faith in them, even if you didn't answer my original question.

10. Salmar macrumors regular

I bought my first Mac iMac 14 months ago and I only had one problem, and that was with one of the big updates back in December I believe. The update would download but would not install. I called tech support and we tried a few things but nothing worked so the tech walked me thru an archive and install which scared the "hail" out of me because I've never re-installed any operating system before. After the archive and install I downloaded the 700 +MB download afterwards and it installed just fine. But it's worked flawlessly ever since without any other problems. However I am just not too crazy over apple mail and it seems many people have problems with it and I've seen a few problems with it myself. Sometimes it works good, other times not. It's not consistent. But overall buying my first Mac computer was a very good experience. And as a new user I found apple's telephone support excellent when I had a few questions as a newby. I know would not go back to a windows computer.

20" alum iMac 2.4

11. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Apple desktops have the highest reliability out of all desktops according to Consumer Reports surveys the past handful of years.

12. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

As far as build quality, Apple using aluminum and glass and the build quality in general is top notch. Much better than Dell, HP and the rest of the peanut gallery. On top of that you get to use OSX, which is 1000 percent better than windows.

If your reading the forums, all your going to see is problems, that is what allot of the forums are for. If there is problems, Apple is quick to fix the problem. Notice the panels in questions were phillips/LG and Apple stopped using them. How many companys would stop using panels altogether? And spend millions trying to fix the problems instead of covering it up, like Apple did not do.

Most of the people in Florida are nuts. I know I live here. Where else would they screw up a election, get rid of their kids because they don't want them anymore, and sue Apple because of a faulty panel, instead of getting another one which Apple gladly said they would do for the man, even upgrade his computer for free.

13. Tudeski macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I was waiting for someone to give some kind of definitive answer. I have been looking online for the last 2 hours and have found all kinds of OLD reliability reports....nothing that covers even the last year in depth. Does anybody have any raw stats on this? The last year I found was from 2005 for failure rates....Purchasing a new imac makes me nervous with the vertical lines issue--mac mini--? Sure, why not!

as far as going after the vertical line problem in a court case---class action...
    class action is the fact that enough people were feeling negelected by poor service and no resolution of the issue that they got organized and spoke up. I think something like that is kind of a big deal. If apple would have taken care of the issue, something like this would have never happened.

14. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

You could buy a brand new 2009 Mac Mini, PowerMac or iMac straight from Apple tomorrow morning and all three could fail. I am having a real hard time trying to follow your logic, do you know how many folks are still using G3 & G4 iMacs? again I really dont understand what you are trying to achieve here. Any piece of electronic equiment can fail at any time regardless if you bought it today or bought it 5 years ago.

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I just got my first Mac (iMac) on the 12th and the only problem i've had so far is that the machine is so easy to get addicted to that my girlfriend can't pull me away from it. :D

:apple:

16. Tudeski macrumors member

Read this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=668482 --panzer talks about QC

I came upon this after reading into some of the other posts. I agree with you. Apple has lots of quality, and is highly rated. However, ignoring some major, consistent problems, can get companies into trouble even with their own fan base. The fact is, those electronic peices of equiment, if under warranty, should be taken care of, ESPECIALLY if its a known problem. I'm just trying to debate between a mac mini or an Imac, and with all the talk of the vertical line problems, i'm leaning towards mini. Does anyone know for sure that the current imac screens don't have issues?