Are the Apple folio cases worth the high cost?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by eclipse01, Oct 31, 2018.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I really don't want to spend $200 on a keyboard case as I really liked my Belkin Qode case I had on my Ipad Air 2, however, I don't really want to wait forever for something to come along

2. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

In my opinion, no. BTW, good call on that Belkin Qode case...that's killer! What I typically do is buy a good quality but inexpensive cover/case on Amazon (Fintie is my go-to) and use that until I find an Apple smartcover or smart keyboard on sale then get those. Fintie (and MoKo) make some really good covers and cases. I've used them on all of my tablets, often for YEARS. I just recently switched out my Fintie case on my Mini 4 in place of a Product RED smartcover... couldn't beat the price at $8 brand new.

3. gjr74, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

gjr74 macrumors member

gjr74

I’ve never been disappointed with Apple covers in terms of material quality and fit. I only wish the new ones covered the sides, maybe leaving a space to charge the pencil but otherwise adding protection to the rest of the edges. The Apple iPhone cases are a good example of how they could have implemented this- they are covered on 3 sides, with the bottom being left open.

Oh, and after having a gray Apple Smart Cover on my 12.9 for 1.5 years, I would have liked some additional color options besides the same gray, and white. Would have spent even more if leather were offered (actually, I remember when full leather Apple iPad cases cost less than this vinyl version).

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I have personally always liked the Apple Smart Keyboards on my iPad Pros as far as typing and convenience, but I always HATED the hump in the middle when they were folded up, so on my last iPad Pro, I switched to the Zagg Rugged Messenger and loved it.

However, just as I was hoping, they redesigned the new ones so that there is no ledge in the middle. I know people will still be disappointed that there is no backlighting or media keys (I sort of am too), but this is the only option for now, and I'm really excited about it just based on how sleek and slim it looks in the pictures.

5. kurosov, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

kurosov macrumors 6502a

I held off on the keyboard folio for the moment as i'm not sure i'd get much use out of it. Ended up passing on the regular folio because for that price i'd want a leather one.

I'm hoping to see some third party cases announced in the next few days, If not i'll probably just end up paying the £100 for the folio in store after my iPad arrives.

Unlike a lot of others i don't want a case that covers the sides, I just wan't something magnetic and easy to remove that will protect the screen while it's in my bag, I don't even care about covering the back and was perfectly happy with the old smart covers.

6. flur macrumors 68020

flur

It would not surprise me at all if they add more colors at a later date. They’ve done this in the past.

7. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

Worth every penny. But they need more color

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

It would surprise me on the keyboard folio. Those have always been gray.

9. flur macrumors 68020

flur

True. I was thinking of the regular folio in my comment.

10. profets macrumors 601

They’ve always added or changed colours for most accessories in the past at different times of the year, but the 12.9” has only ever had grey and white options for the Smart Cover unfortunately. Some colourful options would be such a nice touch.

11. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

Still cant see why Apple hasn't included backlight in the keyboard. It's powered by the iPad...

12. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I also miss the side protection plus I worry the keyboard will get additional marks on the display as on MBP ... more wiping and swiping .

I still struggle with the feeling of the keyboard plus still no backlit. Mixed feedling.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

They are saving it for a future update. lol