are the chargers for the MBP the same as the MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Sep 2, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, i was visiting my brother (and family) in Orange County, and both him and his gf have Macs now ( I converted them;), naturally). So ofcourse there are chargers laying all over the place. Well, when i was getting ready to leave, she put a charger in my bag.

Now i notice it takes longer to charge then before. I asked my brother to check the chargers, and they all say 85watt on the charger itself.

So are all Macbook/Pro chargers the same? She has an MB from May 09', and my bro has a 13" MBP from July. I have a MBP from september 08'. If they are all the same, then i will be heading down to the Apple Store.

Thanks

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The different adapters send different wattage. The MBP Adapter will send 85w, MB 60w , MBA I'm not sure.

The recent unibody MBPs should all run at the same voltage. I would cross chargers at all, although i've heard that the MBP charger will also run at the MB rated voltage and the MB charger can power a MBP (but will not charge the MBP)

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

hmm...
    this charger says 85watt MagSafe adapter..2.5A 125V....
    i will double check w/my bro about the others..

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

85-watt chargers are meant for all 15" or 17" Mac notebooks.
    65-watt chargers are meant for all 13" Mac notebooks (including 13" uMBP).
    45-watt chargers are meant for the MacBook Air.

You can use a higher watt charger on machines that don't require the higher wattage (e.g. use an 85-watt on a 13" MacBook). It can't go the other way around however, as the charger won't have the power to charge the notebook, only power it.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

not completely true. my Brand new 1 week old 15" macbook Pro came with a 60w charger. which is the same as the ones for the 13"MBP and all 13" macbooks.

to the OP. your '08 macbook pro takes the 85w adapter (the real big one)

the old 13" macbooks (plastic and Unibody) use the 60w adapter.

and the new MBP 13 & 15 use the 60w also.

i am not sure about the 17" never had one of those.

there are no 65w adapters for macbooks

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Actually you are both right depending on the configurations. The ones with the 9600m gt utilize 85 watt supplies. The ones with just the 9400m use same as the 13" mbp which is 60.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

i thought that might be the case but was not sure. just like the 17" i have not had a 15" with the discrete card. i dont need it so did not spend the money.

as for all the others i have. white, black, unibody, MBP 13" & 15" and the macbook air. wow, maybe thats the reason i lost my house (just kiddin')

8. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

physically they are different sizes? I guess i will need to make an appointment with the genius, as my computer is taking forever to charge:(

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

They are almost exactly the same size, with the exception of the Air's 45-watt charger, which is slightly smaller.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

here is a good pic of size comparison

from top to bottom it is:

iPhone (5-watt)
    iPod (8-watt)
    MacBook Air (45-watt)
    MacBook (60-watt)
    MacBook Pro (85-watt)

Attached Files:

11. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

This picture is old.

The current 60w and 85w adapters are identical in size.

The plastic MB take a 60w, but any macbook pro before the June '09 models takes an 85w. If you are using a 60w adapter on an older macbook pro then you will notice the battery charges slowly and the adapter gets hot.