Are the current generation of MacPros free from defects?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hajime, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. As some of you know, my less than 1.5 years old MBP is dead suddenly probably due to the infamous NVIDIA GPU. I am now typing on my sister's Toshiba laptop. I heard that she bought it about 8 years ago. It is still functioning. My dad asked me why I still want to buy from Apple...

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether to buy the current generation mac pro or wait for a few more months/weeks for the Nehalem based MacPro. Are the current generation MacPros free from defects? I understand that when the new ones come out, there might be issues.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes, they have no major problems, and if you get anything, that's what a warranty's for :)

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

They are very solid, the few prevalent (But minor) bugs that existed at launch are no longer an issue.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much for your information.

The optional NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB video card is also free from defects. Right? I hope that it does not has the same problem as those found in the MBPs.

5. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

My Nvidia card hasn't had any defects that I'm aware of. But, unless you plan to do a lot of gaming, it's probably not worth getting over the Radeon 3870 - why pay more to go slowish at GPU-intensive pro apps? Yes, I wasn't thrilled about that at all. Though the prospect of a 4870 is enticing, should it come to pass.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The 8800 GT does not have any known defects.

8. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

There don't appear to be any RROD-level (serious and common) issues
    that I'm aware of.

That is not to say the machines are perfect. Just that they don't appear
    to be particularly unreliable at this stage. At least, to the extent one can
    judge these things reading around forums.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's interesting comment considering that defective G84/G86 GPUs made their way into several PC notebooks as well. It seems that so far, no manufacturer has really made an official on what they will do to sort this problem out.