Are the current iMacs "Yosemite ready" ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Synchronyme, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Synchronyme macrumors newbie

Hi there,

As many others, I have a 2008 iMac that was running fine... until I updated it to Maverick. So as I plan to buy a (non Retina) iMac, I'm wondering if the current ones on the Apple shop already have Yosemite installed or if they still have the previous OS ?

2. freshe macrumors regular

Uhm - why would the current iMacs not be "yesemite ready" ?
    It works fine on my late 2013 27"er and so did the Mavericks, and mountain Lion on my 2011. - So yes they all work fine with last 3 versions of OS X.

3. Synchronyme thread starter macrumors newbie

Well because some iMacs experienced a noticable slow down after the Maverick update.

Also I would prefer my new shiny iMac to have the last OS (so: Yosemite) and not the previous one.

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I'm running a late 2012 27" Slim iMac 3.4Ghz i7 on Yosemite (since the beta was released) and it has been fantastic. No Slowdown or issues other than standard beta issues.

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Some iMacs are also 4-5 years old, so of course there would be a slow down.

OSX 10.10 is a free update, so if it doesn't ship with it, you can upgrade easily.

6. Synchronyme thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok to be more specific then: if I order an iMac NOW, will it already have Yosemite installed or no ?

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Maybe. It really depends on how much older stock with Maverics Apple has. You can download Yosemite for free and install it, so it doesn't really matter. Installing Yosemite over another OS isn't going to cause your Mac to be slow. The fact that your old iMac is old and slow is what causes it to be slow.

8. Serban Suspended

the 5k imac will have yosemite 100%
    the rest i think are with maveriks

9. fisha macrumors regular

I'm running a 2011 27" iMac, and installed Yosemite over Mavericks and so far its been absolutely fine. No issues with performance so far.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am still running a late 2008 macbook Pro. When i updated to Mavericks i experenced some slow down but doubling my memory soon sorted the problem out. I upgraded to Yosemite a couple of days ago and if anything it is running better than Maverick.

I can see no issue with running Yosemite on anything after my six year old machine.

11. puke macrumors regular

I think i've read somewhere that it takes Apple around 20 hours to completely empty their stocks, the machines are going in and out of there like crazy.

The Mac you are purchasing now _should_ have Yosemite on it.