All iPads Are the current ipads missing any future proof features?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by surjavarman, Oct 27, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Apart from touch ID are the ipads missing any features that would make them future proof for years to come?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

iOS devices tend to have planned obsolescence built-in. If you want to be future proof, just save money to be able to purchase a new iPad every 2 years.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. Both are missing a flux capacitor. You'll have to wait for the iPad Delorean for that feature... :rolleyes:

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't be silly. Of course the Air will age just like every other iPad.

Missing:

A7XYZ, A8 or A9s processor
    M8 motion coprocessor
    2GB RAM
    Super Retina screen
    Whatever exclusive feature Apple serves up next version & one after that & the next infinitum.

Electronic today are designed for quick obsolescence. The only way to future proof is to freeze time.

5. darabo macrumors member

I think the 64-bit processor not included in the older iPads will become more of an issue in the future, however not for a long while.

6. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

Nothing is really future proof but this is the biggest update to iPads we ever seen. Just buy and be happy :)

7. aneftp macrumors 601

No pattern how apple handles iOS devices in regards to future proof.

Like iPad 1 owners only got less than 2.5 years of iOS (3 generations, iOS 3.2, 4, 5) support which ended at iOS 5. iPad 2 will end up getting 5 iOS generations. (iOS 4,5,6,7,8). I put iOS 8 on there cause I see no reason Apple won't put iOS 8 on iPad 2 (since iPad mini and iPad 2 share same processor and graphics).

It's like iPhone 2007, iPhone 3G got only 3 total generations of iOS support. Whereas iPhone 3GS, 4, have gotten 4 generations of iOS support.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

By the time it becomes an issue, most folks will likely have upgraded their iOS devices already. The way I see it, the 64-bit support is there more for developers. That way, when iOS makes the move to 64-bit, apps would already be updated and the transition will be painless for customers.

9. nm94, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

nm94 macrumors newbie

I look at it this way, and remember this is without actually having used one yet: I don't believe there will be a whole lot to complain about when using the iPad Air. For example, weight will no longer be an issue. The screen is obviously retina, so it's going to be as sharp as you can get. Everyone who actually got their hands on one and reviewed it praised its zippy speed and how well it functions with iOS 7.

This is compared to previous models where when you picked them up and used them, you immediately picked up on faults before there was any "newer" technology to compare them to. The iPad 3, for example, was heavyyyy. If you planned to use it as a reader, I think you quickly changed your mind unless you wanted to use two hands. For one hand, it was simply too much on the wrist. Also, the iPad 3 was painfully laggy and slow (even more so once iOS 7 dropped). These faults were a major reason why the 4 was pushed out so soon after.

That said, when you look at the Air, sure you can say that more storage would be great. Touch ID would be great. And there will be other little things. But as far as the major checklist goes, the Air seems to have nailed everything based on early reviews and the keynote. In other words, it will more than suit your needs for a while to come, assuming it will take to iOS 8 much better than some of the previous models took to iOS 7.

And obviously Apple will come out with new technology that will eventually leave the Air in the shadow. But as far as necessities go (weight, speed, screen, etc), the Air seems to have nailed them all.

That was much longer than I intended, but you ask an important question when it comes to investments for the future like an iPad and I feel like Apple did a great job of setting up the Air for great longevity.

Edit: Same argument can be applied to the mini as well. Just realized you said iPads and not just the Air.