Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Just saw the new one-time-use video camera at my local CVS Pharmacy today. Apparently, when you return the camera, they give you a DVD with the footage, plus software that allows you to share it, email it, etc.

Anybody know if the DVD software is Mac compatible?

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'm not sure about the 'software' they include on the DVD, but the movie files will very likely be in a format (.mov, .avi, .mpeg, etc) that you will have no problem importing to iMovie/iDVD or simply copying to your hard drive.

I imagine the DVD to contain the software, and then have the movie file in a seperate folder elsewhere that you can just browse to and access.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
SuperChuck said:
Just saw the new one-time-use video camera at my local CVS Pharmacy today. Apparently, when you return the camera, they give you a DVD with the footage, plus software that allows you to share it, email it, etc.

Anybody know if the DVD software is Mac compatible?

There aren't any CVS stores around here, how much are the cameras? I'm trying to find someone to pick one up for me that I can take apart and mess around with.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Considering that CVS is based one town over from me (Woonsocket, RI), I would have heard about this earlier. I think I might check one out, and see if the quality is better than my parents Digital8 camcorder. Wouldn't be hard to do really, this camcorder is at least 6 or 7 years old now :eek:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
mlrproducts said:
There aren't any CVS stores around here, how much are the cameras? I'm trying to find someone to pick one up for me that I can take apart and mess around with.

I wonder if you can make it into a regular camera. I know people who have done that with disposable cameras.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dejo said:
$29.99 + $12.99 for processing = $42.98 for 20 minutes of 640x480 video. Doesn't sound like a good value to me.

It's good if you can somehow hack it to use over and over again. I wonder what it stores the video on....tape?

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
dejo said:
$29.99 + $12.99 for processing = $42.98 for 20 minutes of 640x480 video. Doesn't sound like a good value to me.

Yeah, considering you can get a cheap $250 MiniDV camera and $5 tapes brand new, and way better quality than a disposable one, too. Plus you get a warranty and all.

Not worth it unless you're in a jam, didn't bring your camera, and absolutely need one at the moment.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I would mainly use it for risky situations/locations where I wouldn't want to risk a good camera. Perfect for the beach, water rides at amusement parks, etc.

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
These things don't have a zoom feature... it is point and shoot. Video recording in it's most simple form.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.